PDA

View Full Version : Tawny Eagle - Catch Take 2

John Harper
03-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Hi There

Well its Saturday again and once more I head to HCT for my weekly fix of Raptors. The weather just about beat me this week as it was raining for most of the day, with just a few dry breaks. So the light was low and the skies were white but I tried my luck and came away with 6 or so shots I was pleased with.

Above is another in the series of "Frodo" The Tawny Eagle trying to grab a piece of Chicken that is thrown into the air for him to catch while flying.
Now I have seen him try this on about 6 or so occasions and not once has he caught the chicken.... However in bad weather conditions... what do you know he nailed it... and remembered to keep flying as well. Normally if he catches it, he is so shocked he forgets to keep flying and lands immediately.

This shot would have been great with a nice blue sky... but you cant have everything.. I was lucky to get him all in without clipping a wing. I love the look on his face as he realises he is going to catch it.....

John

EOS1DMKIII
EF 500 F4L
ISO 1250
1/1000 @ F4

Harold Davis
03-15-2008, 05:45 PM
nice capture, john. i dont mind the bg at all. i think it actually compliments the bird. must be a treat to see the action like that up close and predictable.

Cindy Cone
03-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Great capture, John. Love the pose with the outstreched talons. I also think the background is fine.

Lana Hays
03-16-2008, 10:17 AM
John
I just love these action images with the outstretched talons.....and can almost follow the image in my mind with Frodo catching the food. To be honest......I don't really think about the color of the BG in this one. Frodo fills the frame enough that my eyes just don't notice the sky. I look at this and think........maybe a bit more room at the top for him to "fly into". Well done.

Del Cockroft
03-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Good capture. Sharp and detailed and the BG is fine by me. I think this bird resides at the Hawk conservancy in Alton, Hants. Am I right??

John Harper
03-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Good capture. Sharp and detailed and the BG is fine by me. I think this bird resides at the Hawk conservancy in Alton, Hants. Am I right??

Hi Del

Thanks for the comments, The Hawk Conservancy Trust is in Hampshire but just outside Andover rather than Alton. Its just off the A303 down a road called Sarsons Lane.

Website is here HCT (http://www.hawk-conservancy.org/)

John