PDA

View Full Version : Yellow on Blue

Jay Sheinfield
11-26-2010, 03:41 PM
From the Water Lily archives, It's getting cold out here and this reminds me of warmer times........

Nikon D3s
ISO 200
1/60 sec @ f/9
165mm

Hand held

comments always welcome............

Jay Sheinfield
11-26-2010, 05:26 PM
repost trying something different

Dave Leroy
11-26-2010, 11:18 PM
I am not sure what you did but I do prefer the yellows in the second. More depth to them.

My eye does want just a tad more separation at the bottom.

Very nice colour combination, black, blue and yellow witht he splash of red. Looks very good.

Ken Childs
11-27-2010, 08:47 AM
Jay, the repost addressed some of the concerns I had about the OP so you've already made a big step in the right direction! I really like the the way you have a dark BG behind the light flower and a lighter BG around the dark reflection/shadow. There are some bright areas on the left side of the flower that could be toned down just a bit. I think a slight CW rotation and a crop off the top would look good and like Dave, I'd like to see more room on the bottom and it don't think it would be too difficult to add some more canvas there. Well done and with a few tweaks, this one will shine!

Roman Kurywczak
11-27-2010, 10:52 AM
Hey Jay,
The water lilies at Longwood Gardens have similar blooms. While the OP may be closer to reality....I too prefer the repost tweaks. Taking them a step further as Ken suggested will make this one shine!

Jay Sheinfield
11-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks folks..........good suggestions.

Roman, yes, I sometimes drift from reality......in many ways:cool:. If I go too far, I wouldn't mind your bouncing it over to OOTB. I do enjoy this forum, and, all the feedback is super.

Steve Maxson
11-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Jay. Another beauty! I like both versions, though the second is clearly more dramatic. The yellow flower and blue water work well together. The thing that catches my eye in terms of comp (and has already been noted above) is the reflection of the petals touching the frame at the bottom. I think this could easily be fixed in PS and would take this strong image up several notches. :)

Anita Bower
12-01-2010, 08:32 AM
Beautiful colors. I like the second post best. The center of the flower is lovely. I think the suggestion of slight CW rotation is good. The clipped bottom doesn't bother me. I would crop some off the top, though. Keep these lovelies coming!

Charles Wesley
12-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Jay,

Very nice work here. Like the extra " pop ' in the repost. You handled the yellows very well in this capture. Like the colors and clarity. Thanks for sharing...