PDA

View Full Version : Rare Massachuestts Visitor

Jim Fenton
11-26-2010, 11:10 AM
While Sandhill Cranes are frequent visitors to much of the rest of the USA, they are rather here in my neck of the woods.

This one was fairly close to home and captured with some fall colors as a backdrop.

Nikon D300s, 600VR, ISO 500, f 5, 1/2500, CW metering, NearUniWB, -.7 EV

Geoff Warnock
11-26-2010, 11:15 AM
Hi Jim, I really like the image as a whole and great feather detail. I would prefer it if the back foot wasn't slightly hidden. If it's part of a burst of shots maybe the next frame is even better?

Jim Fenton
11-26-2010, 11:17 AM
It was a single image and not part of a burst.

I suppose I could actually clean up the back foot a bit .

Danny J Brown
11-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi Jim,

This image is so exquisite that my typing hands are almost speechless! I'm just saying........th...th....this....is....su....sub.. ...sublime! Color, light, detail, bokeh, everything. I'm going to go trade my 500/4 for a Collings guitar. Thanks alot dude!!!!!

DB

Stu Bowie
11-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Great angle here Jim, and I like the behaviour. Good sharp detail throught the crane, and that BG is just fantastic. Could you have moved to your left a tad?

Greg Basco
11-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Jim, what a beautiful image this is. I'm not too crazy about the cornstalks at bottom right but what can you do? And with the great techs, awesome light, cool perspective, and fantastic background this image stands strong as is. Congrats!

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Ben_Sadd
11-26-2010, 11:56 AM
A great image, with gorgeous light and colours. In agreement with Stuart moving to the left a touch would have opened up the hidden foot, which is mentioned by Geoff, and put what is already a superior image up another notch.

Jim Fenton
11-26-2010, 12:00 PM
The issue with moving to the left at all was that I would immediately begin to encounter a bunch of dead leafless branches in the background and I felt that this truly was the optimal position for this image creation.

Jim Fenton
11-26-2010, 12:09 PM
I made the foot just a tad less hidden for those that like to see some bit of all the feet :)

Ben_Sadd
11-26-2010, 12:10 PM
I would immediately begin to encounter a bunch of dead leafless branches in the background

In this case I believe you made the right choice, as the background here is so so nice :)

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Beautiful image Jim!
That's the kind of light I love! but here you have a combination that yields a wonderful picture. Yes, my only nit are those cutted canes? on bottom.

Randy Stout
11-26-2010, 12:30 PM
Jim:

I tend to take sandhills a bit for granted as I see them most days, or at least hear them as they fly over my house. But, they are unique birds, and you have captured this one beautifully. The exposure, sharpness, BG are all top notch. My only comment does center around the stalks. Def. improvement clearing the leg/foot a bit. I might be tempted to play a bit with trying to burn them in and reduce their contrast slightly to downplay their effect, esp. the portion right by the frame edge.

Regardless, a very fine image. You made the most of your opportunity.

Cheers

Randy

Jim Fenton
11-26-2010, 12:55 PM
As this subject was feeding in a CORNFIELD which typically have CORN STALKS I really didn't see them as a big issue but more kinda like HABITAT...that's the thing!

If I get really creative I'll see if I can't make the whole row go away later.

Greg Basco
11-26-2010, 01:08 PM
Hi, Jim. I see your point about the cornstalks giving a sense of the habitat. I, and I'm guessing the others who also mentioned the stalks, were thinking about them more as simply a bit of a visual distraction rather than as something out of place.

As I said, I think it's a great image so, if it were mine, I think I would leave the scene as you captured and let it stand on its own rather than cloning the stalks out. But it might be interesting to see what you could do. Randy's suggestion to darken them a bit could be a good option too.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Fernando Cerra
11-26-2010, 02:14 PM
I am impressed with this image the colors, pose and expression are top caliber.

While Sandhill Cranes are frequent visitors to much of the rest of the USA, they are rather here in my neck of the woods.

This one was fairly close to home and captured with some fall colors as a backdrop.

Nikon D300s, 600VR, ISO 500, f 5, 1/2500, CW metering, NearUniWB, -.7 EV

Geoff Warnock
11-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Hi Jim, really like your repost, that subtle change just seems to free him up. Absolutely no prob with the corn stalks in shot, but it's good now that you could free the foot that bit. As others have said, it's a great shot with that one tiny tiny nit to pick.

Morkel Erasmus
11-26-2010, 05:49 PM
super sharp and I just LOVE the colour palette here...wish for better eye contact but would be happy with this in my files...

Sid Garige
11-26-2010, 07:53 PM
One the most spectacular background with sandhill I have ever seen. Fantastic job.

Chris Martinez
11-27-2010, 07:14 AM
The definition on the bird is outstanding and I really like the setting. The bright greens and vivid red(of the bird) work wonderfully together.

Tim Munsey
11-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Well what can you say, Jim Fenton doing his stuff again!
Good one

Tim

Chris van Rooyen
11-28-2010, 09:55 AM
Exquisite colours and sharpness! Would have been even better if the foot was not obscured by the foreground.