PDA

View Full Version : Rusty Blackbird in Natural Habitat

Danny J Brown
11-25-2010, 10:44 PM
I was trying to photograph ducks along the Mississippi River last Saturday and ended up in a thick fog the entire morning until I finally gave up. The day wasn't a complete bust as this rusty blackbird, uncommon in Missouri, landed very close along with eight of its buddies. They were all looking for a drink from the wetland. I was so surprised to see them that I didn't think to tighten my aperture to deepen the focus plane. Thanks!

Canon 40D; Canon 500/4; 1/640; f/4; ISO 200; Gitzo GT3530LS/Wimberley II; Trekker T-100 Blind

Jim Crosswell
11-26-2010, 08:17 AM
The blackbird is sharp and shows the rust colour perfectly. The image really gives a sense of habitat. Well done Danny!

Dan Brown
11-26-2010, 09:09 AM
Cool bird Danny! Tack sharp and I like the muted light.

Stu Bowie
11-26-2010, 10:02 AM
Hey Danny, I can where this guy gets his name from. Perfect exposure to bring out the detail in the rusty/black plumage. Tack sharp where it counts, and well done on getting down low for this capture.

Daniel Cadieux
11-26-2010, 12:47 PM
One of those rare birds that look better out of breeding season (IMO)! I don't mind the habitat as this is pretty much how I see these guys too. There are, however a few pieces that I wish weren't there, such as the orange piece in LLC and tall one reaching to top of frame, and the extra branch passing behind the bird's body and bill. I know its tough to get uncluttered images in this type of habitat, I still like it alot...great low angle, and the eye is quite striking.

You are a braver man than I photographing birds at ISO 200, especially in overcast conditions:)

James Salywoda
11-26-2010, 07:32 PM
Gorgeous bird the colors and detail are outstanding I also like your composition it works nicely as this bird forages for food. Your angle of capture is excellent.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Wonderful looking bird Danny. Love the habitat and the DOF is good enough for my liking. Not that what I think probably matters (only to me). :) Well done mate. :)

Danny J Brown
11-26-2010, 10:27 PM
One of those rare birds that look better out of breeding season (IMO)! I don't mind the habitat as this is pretty much how I see these guys too. There are, however a few pieces that I wish weren't there, such as the orange piece in LLC and tall one reaching to top of frame, and the extra branch passing behind the bird's body and bill. I know its tough to get uncluttered images in this type of habitat, I still like it alot...great low angle, and the eye is quite striking.

You are a braver man than I photographing birds at ISO 200, especially in overcast conditions:)

Yes, like my friend Harshad I'm an ISO 200 nut. When I get my 1D4 I might jump up to ISO 400 once in awhile.:)

Danny J Brown
11-26-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks everybody for looking at the little blackbird and for the great comments and suggestions.

DB