PDA

View Full Version : Only Thing Balanced as Thanksgiving Dinner will be overload

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Shot this a first part of nov. Happy Thanksgiving!!!!!!!
5dmarkII
1/13@f/11
iso 100
canon 24-105

Jay Gould
11-26-2010, 07:09 AM
Obviously the rock outcropping is outstanding; now you have to figure out how to punch up the eye's path to the blaze of glory. I would seriously consider a pano cropping the foreground all the way to the base of the bush in the center leaving just the slightest hint of the ground in front of the bush.

Roman Kurywczak
11-26-2010, 10:24 AM
My favorite place Dennis!! Headed back there next week. I'm leaning with Jay on the pano crop and I even like his choice where! It would be nice if you had clouds.....but you can't even imagine how many times I have said that standing there!......so you did really well to minimize the sky. I think the pano crop will only further enhance the shape of the wall leading up to balanced rock. Good thing there were no campers or RV's in the parking lot!

Jay Gould
11-26-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks Roman, now how about telling us all where this place is!!

Dave Mills
11-26-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi Dennis, beautiful late light with a well seen comp. This comp is a bit different in what I normally see and I like it. Agree that a pano crop will work well here also.
Jay, this area is pretty easy to find. Balanced Rock is easily visible off the main road with a parking lot in front of it. From there you would work yourself into position late in the day for a comp. If you have a nice sunset you could go behind balanced rock and shoot it as a silhouette against a colorful sky...

Jay Gould
11-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Guys, where I am at this moment it is 12:02am and I am lying in bed laughing. Dave, I am sure of only one thing: it is in the USA! :o

Have I missed some hint regarding the state etc?

Good night from Thailand

Sent from my iPad

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-26-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks everybody for your help, Jay it is Arches National Park in Moab, Utah. We must of crossed path roman when I was at Bryce and Zion as I see some of the same lighting conditions. We just got our fist skiff of snow today so it will be awhile before any frozen lighthouses. I'm having dust problems with the 5dmark II as moab dust is tougher then the lens pen and artic brush. Should I just send it in or get the expensive wet paddles to clean it?

Jay Gould
11-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Arches - on my bucket list to do in the next couple of years!!

Curly, this is what I had in mind; hope you don't mind. Cropped in LR3; I have no idea why the color change in the rocks as all I did was save as a jpeg and repost as a jpeg.

Morkel Erasmus
11-26-2010, 06:19 PM
wonderful shot Curly! I love the layering, the colour contrasts in the layers and the details. yeah yeah some clouds would have been nice but it's a very appealling shot for me :)

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-27-2010, 10:28 AM
Thanks Morkel and Jay, I do like your crop better Jay

Roman Kurywczak
11-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Hey Curly,
Just noticed the cleaning question.....I'd send it in. Nothing quite like the fine dust from that area!
Jay's crop works for me too!

Dave Mills
11-27-2010, 11:50 AM
I also like Jay's crop giving more room on the bottom...

Robert Amoruso
11-28-2010, 08:23 AM
Dennis, I like Jay's crop but I also like your OP. I even see the path I would walk to get there. Only thing I would have done is walk around to see if I could compose it with even a stronger visible line in the dirt acting as a path to Balanced Rock.

Morkel Erasmus
11-28-2010, 04:32 PM
wanted to ask - where was this taken?