PDA

View Full Version : Ruddy Turnstone Bathing - Does This Work?

Paul Guris
11-25-2010, 10:01 AM
I took this picture last winter of a Ruddy Turnstone bathing in a rock pool. I love the stopped water, but I'm wondering what people think about the head and position. It's certainly no portrait, but then again it is taking a bath which is really what I wanted to capture. Any and all comments appreciated.

Nikon D90
70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED
240mm (360mm equivalent)
f/5.3, 1/4000, ISO 720, -0.67EV

Geoff Warnock
11-25-2010, 11:11 AM
Nice capture Paul, definitely shows the dynamics of bathing. I would like to see it as part of a series, some with head/eyes visible and some with wings spread a little too. I guess you probably have those too!

Julie Kenward
11-25-2010, 11:25 AM
Geoff makes a good point...no eye where we can see it and the twisted head is a nice behavioral image but I'm really missing the eye contact. You did a great job of freezing the motion of the water and the bird and the colors are bright and eye catching. The more I look at it the more I like it but at first glance I was really missing the presence of the eyes.

Paul Guris
11-25-2010, 12:39 PM
Yes Geoff, I do have a series of about 70 shots. Since both you and Julie mentioned the eye, I went through them all and it turns out that every time I have good water, the eye is closed. That shouldn't be too surprising since I close my eyes when I was my face too.

Here's a shot where it's bathing more of its tail end, but I get droplets instead of a nice big swoosh of water.

Geoff Warnock
11-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi Paul, as a stand alone bird photo I think this 2nd one is stronger, but I fully understand what you like about the first. It would be nice to see these two as part of a tryptich (for example) to really highlight the behaviour.

nancy hazen
11-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Hi Paul,
I'm new here, but enjoyed both shots. I do like the second one more, because the head and eye are visable. But you did a great job in both stopping the action. Bathing birds are not easy and great to see.
Nancy

Julie Kenward
11-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Geoff, I think that second image is much stronger because of the eye contact. You didn't get a great "whoosh" of water but you did a great job of freezing the action - very nice!

Andrew Merwin
11-26-2010, 08:32 AM
I also prefer the 2nd. image because of the eye contact. But, I think I can see the bird's right eye in the first image. Have you tried lightening the eye in the first image? Just a thought.

Paul Guris
11-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Andrew: The pale spot you see on the face is actually the closed eye.

All: Thanks for the feedback.