PDA

View Full Version : Careful Where You Step

Danny J Brown
11-24-2010, 10:37 PM
I was recently walking through the woods at a local conservation area when I ran across this Osage Copperhead, one of Missouri's five poisonus pit vipers. This image exemplifies why these creatures are called copperheads and it also gives a nice view of the "pit" between the nostril and the eye. The pit is loaded with sensors and aids in the detection of prey.

Canon 40D; Canon 300/4 L IS; 1/60; f/6.3; ISO 200; Feisol CT3301 CF Tripod/Markins M10 Head; Tripod splayed flat on the ground, me in prone position a safe distance (1.5 meter minimum focus distance that is) away.

P.S. Head looked sharper prior to posting but I'm just going to hit the "Submit" button anyways.

Hilary Hann
11-25-2010, 12:09 AM
My opinion, not a 'safe' distance from the snake! :D

Love the colour of this snake and certainly looks copper. You captured the interesting shape of the head and the pits well. Like the POV. Agree that the head could be a little sharper.

Harshad Barve
11-25-2010, 01:15 AM
Snakes , Not my cup of tea and enjoy the images created by others
This is one good image and I am enjoying this too
TFS

Steve Kaluski
11-25-2010, 03:22 AM
Hi Danny, I'm right behind Harshad on this one, in more ways than one :D:D as I too am not a great lover of these animals and am quite happy to view them at this distance, in front of a screen. I like the crop and POV on his one, especially with the head posed, ready to strike (?)

I agree with your observation re sharpness here Danny, but if you are hosting from your PC or ex drive loss of quality should not be an issue.

Although viewing on my MacBook, I do find the colours quite rich and I just wondered/thought, if you duplicate the layer, reduce the saturation, then bringing back the viper as is, for me it all seems to sit better IMHO. Also by dropping the red & yellow channels in saturation (-10?) on the viper only, more detail and clarity seems to come through especially around the head I found. Just a thought. :)

TFS
Steve

Grant Atkinson
11-25-2010, 04:57 AM
Hi Danny, an interesting subject and it shows the snakes dangerous end off quite well. The colours, esp green and reds, do seem a little bit strong to me but am viewing on an uncalibrated laptop. Good to see your posts of the less photographed creatures...
Cheers
Grant

Stu Bowie
11-25-2010, 12:05 PM
Danny, good use of DOF here, and the colours cetainly show where the name comes from. Another vote for keeping distance from these critters.

Steve Canuel
11-25-2010, 01:34 PM
Focus seems to have hit just on the neck but still a great view of the eye and pit. I like the OOF coils and the line of the head. Beautiful snakes.

Todd Frost
11-25-2010, 01:37 PM
As with everyone else tis is a nice view (in front of my computer) of this snake. Like the oof areas fore and aft. Not sure what the grass colors are like in Missouri, but look about right for out here in the Pacific NW (read wet). Well done, I'll leave the snakes to you!
TFS
Todd

Danny J Brown
11-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Focus seems to have hit just on the neck but still a great view of the eye and pit. I like the OOF coils and the line of the head. Beautiful snakes.

You are right, Steve, you can see the focus point clearly on the neck which is just behind the eye....darn it....maybe next time. Thanks as always for positive, critical appraisal of my images.

DB

Ian Cassell
11-26-2010, 12:10 PM
What a pretty capture! Even with the focus point where it is, this shows the colors off beautifully. The one OOF grass in front of him is slightly distracting.

We don't have them out here, but I used to see them when I was growing up in CT (and almost stepped on them more than once as they are so well camouflaged).

Rachel Hollander
11-26-2010, 03:46 PM
This is one animal that I prefer not to see in the wild but am happy to look at on a monitor. I think your self-critique was spot on but it's still nice to see something different.

TFS,
Rachel