PDA

View Full Version : Why do you photograph?

Jay Gould
11-24-2010, 05:17 PM
Why do I photograph?

This question as been haunting me for the past six months; that is one of the primary reasons why I have been "absent" from BPN; the other was medically related.

The question is not one to be necessarily answered by the professionals, to the extent that photography is their primary source of income. Of course it can be answered by professionals from a non-income standpoint, and certainly in my search for the answers that work for me, both the professionals' and nonprofessionals' opinions are sought.

Becoming a photographer, an attempt at being a serious amateur nature/landscape photographer, for me started just a couple of years ago. I still have my first email exchanges with Artie about equipment and approach to photography.

In late 2008 the relatively young wife of a couple with whom Jackie and I were friends died in an accident. Whoa! That incident caused me to go into a deep introspection: what would I do if something happened to Jackie? I had no interests outside of being with Jackie; and, what we did was travel full-time either in Australia in our caravan, or around the world. While life was/is wonderful I couldn't imagine doing that "forever" without Jackie. What would I do?

My brother, as many of you know from me, is a successful professional photographer in San Diego (http://www.stevegouldphotography.com/), having adopted this career in his "second life". I had always looked for something that would create a better bond between us and therefore I turned to photography with a vengeance. Some might say, and some definitely did say, with too much of a vengeance to the point of being a "needy" sponge trying to absorb all that was available, and in the process driving a lot of people on BPN almost to the point of exasperation at my incessant questions.

I was pleased with the results; I was having a ball on BPN. And, I was enjoying learning to be a photographer - whatever that meant.

The problem for me was my struggle with the concept: what am I going to do with my images? Why am I shooting all of these images; why am I spending all of this money on equipment?

Living in a caravan there is no wall space to display my images; I wasn't interested in pursuing photography to the extent that my brother has or that a professional needs to in order to create a demand.

There is an older thread on BPN that I read early on, I believe it was started by James, about what it takes to become a top photographer; about the dedication necessary to pursue the art of photography. I remember writing in that thread, prior to taking workshops with James and Jim, that I knew I wasn't prepared to entertain the dedication that James suggested was necessary.

I am sorry if this is a bit long-winded, for me it is cathartic; it really is OK to stop reading now or to continue and respond! Or, not respond.

Anyway, in October 2009, after being a sponge for six months including flying from Australia to Florida to take workshops from James and Jim, off I went to South America which included a 26-day cruise to Antarctica, and in May this year returned with over 10,000 images which represented about 20% of what I actually shot. Boy do the numbers add up at 7fps when you are doing it most days.

By the time 10,000 became 5,000 I asked myself why am I doing this? What am I going to do with these images when 5,000 are 500?

I couldn't answer the question! I stalled!!

A couple of weeks ago I did a 7-day landscape workshop on Norfolk Island, Australia, and one morning before we started I was having coffee with the instructors.

I posed the question: "Michael (Michael Snedic: http://michaelsnedic.com/) I am struggling with why I am here; why am I photographing; what am I going to do with these images?"

Michael suggested that my pursuit of photography had little to do with actually capturing the ultimate BBC image. From the time we spent together in various workshops Michael suggested that he believed that I pursued photography for the journey, for the education, the interaction with others either on the internet or in person through workshops and other avenues, and if I happened to created a "winner" that was simply a bonus."

Since kick-starting with the Trekabout Workshop to Norfolk Island , and returning to processing my images and playing on BPN, Michael might be right. I am still not sure of the "why" answer; it is a work in progress.

My brother suggested: "get a digital picture frame and load all your favorite images into it so you and Jackie can see them all the time. Just get the biggest your caravan can realistically display. And, you can start to make books."

Why do you photograph?

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-24-2010, 06:32 PM
Firstly, glad your health is back on track ol' mate! :) I forgot to add that to my e-mail back to you a few days back.

Why? Good question. Now that I think about it, I like to freeze a moment in time. Probably due to the fact that I am so sentimental and love to remember the experience. Or is it mental? Probably debatable. :o My madness started when I learned to scuba dive in 1995 and wanted a record of all the unknown creatures so I can later identify them. Then the passion took me above water onto dry land. After all, I am a very down to earth guy. :)

What do I do with the images?

1) I don't shoot at 7fps, as my cr@p camera can only do 5fps and even that rarely gets the use. It's a farce IMHO.
2) That means I don't have tens of thousands of images to worry about. :)
3) I donate many to calendars for free (to not-for profit organization(s)).
4) I sell a few here and there
5) I just look at them and smile.
6) This is the most important one. It makes me appreciate, respect and want to live life. :) Not a lot of other things interest me besides wildlife. Ok, maybe some heavy metal or classical music and a good thriller via books or the big screen.

Hope this was not too off the track mate. :)

James Shadle
11-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Wow, why do I photograph?
That's like asking me why is air good or why are b**bies good. They just are and I just do:).

First, I'm in love with nature. I want to protect and preserve as much habitat and as many species as possible. Humans place value on beauty. If through my photography I'm able to create an image that represents a place or thing beautifully, perhaps the viewer will attach a value and decide that place or thing is worth saving.

I can't even draw flies, photography is my creative outlet.

The challenge of conquering the elements, the subject, the equipment and my mind.

Showing off is one of the thing I do best. Photography is an enabler.

It's just dad-gum fun.

That's my short list.

Daniel Cadieux
11-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Jay, thanks for your post - always a treat to read what you have to say (and question!)

For me the answer that instantly pops to my mind is "FOR FUN!" There would be no point doing this if it was not fun. I don't know of any photographer, even pros, who did not start this a hobby. So to me this points out that the enjoyment of it is why they (we) do it. Granted, for most pros the "business" side of the equation is tedious work, but it all trickles back down to what they love doing most!

I've always had a strong artistic side to me...until not too long ago I drew and sketched as a hobby. That is what I loved doing. I was also a big-time birder (not the list-checking type, but the love to observe type) and most of my free time was looking at birds through binoculars. I also had a passing interest in photography and often borrowed my dad's camera to take photos of interesting birds observed. My creative side was never happy with the results though, and photography was not a major factor in my life (yet) - although the seed was planted...and I had great FUN doing it!!

The internet really opened my eyes to what was possible bird photography-wise. I was late to the game when it comes to having the internet (by choice...man, if I would have known!!:o) and when I landed on some nature photography forums I was blown away at what I saw!! There was a whole world of exciting photography happening out there this whole time and I had no idea...I wanted to do that! Bought a cheap film camera and an even cheaper thrid party 300mm lens and had the most FUN I'd had in a long time! Creatively I pretty much abandoned the pens, pencils, and paper...and combined my love for birds with my new love (instead of mere "like") of photography. That is why I photograph. First for my personal enjoyment. For FUN.

Now I have upgraded my gear, improved my technique, greatly evolved my post-processing workflow, continue to participate online...but one thing I always make sure remains the same is...you guessed it...have FUN! :cool::) So there you go, a bit of a history lesson on my background on why I do it!!

If fun is first, then running a close second are: the challenge of it all, sharing tips and tricks and helping others become better photographers, spending lots of time in nature, meeting new friends (including online) with the same interest (some of these have become outright friendships), the anticipation of what will show up next especially during migration...I'm sure there's more, but that is pretty much more than what I usually like to type!!:p

Jay Gould
11-24-2010, 08:02 PM
Daniel, while obviously I appreciate everyone's responses, and they will be taken onboard, thank you very much for the first line of your post. An acknowledgment from a Professional like yourself is probably one of the reasons I am taking on the challenge of photography. It is nice to be acknowledged by leaders in the field and on BPN. Shooting with you in Canada is definitely on my bucket list!! Thanks again!!

Harshad Barve
11-24-2010, 10:10 PM
Hi Jay

One super question here :) and thanks for posting this
I do photography because

1) You know tigers are part of my family and I want to photograph my family members :)
2) These images put smile on my face and gives me peace of mind which is sometime lost in quest of
earning better life
3) If some of my images could help in saving these magnificent beast , That will be ultimate reward

Doug Campbell
11-24-2010, 11:31 PM
Because I can't sing or dance.

nancy hazen
11-25-2010, 04:13 AM
That question has been on my mind lately as well. I've only been interested in serious photography for a little over 2 years, but it has become my new passion. For me the draw is the subjects - birds and critters in nature. I've been a bird watcher and native plant gardener for a long time. Potography helps me capture those beautiful moments when the butterfly emerges, the hummingbird drinks from the sage or bathes in the fountain, and even my dogs who love the cool shelter of the Ceanothis. There is also the challenge of capturing wildlife in their habitat, without intruding that makes the day worthwhile. Trying to be the silent observer. I've often thought that the birds in my yard are the easiest "pets" I've ever enjoyed. They come and go, often migrating and returning the following season. But they feel like they are "my birds". I've tried to answer your question many times. Why am I driven to save for better equipment, learn new techniques and take more and more pictures. The reason that keeps popping up is that regardless of the success with the images, I love spending time watching my favorite subjects.

I enjoyed this post. Thank you.
Nancy

Kerry Perkins
11-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Jay, it is nice to see you back and glad things are going well. You have been missed!

To answer your question takes a bit of inner searching for all of us, I'm sure. Here are my thoughts...

1. I am a frustrated artist and photography gives me a chance to not only capture beauty, but also to use it as a basis for artistic expression. This is why I was immediately drawn to a concept called "Birds As Art" and why I relate so much to the work of Arthur Morris. I have a formal music education, but found that the actual business of the music industry was devoid of art, feeling, or substance. With photography, I can both capture and share moments of beauty as well as create original works that could never exist in nature. It was perfect for me to find a home in Out Of The Box. :cool:

2. I am also a techno-geek of the highest order. I have worked in electronics, computers, and high-tech industries related to entertainment for over 40 years. I absolutely love the challenges of modern digital photography and the personal challenges of using it in artistic ways.

3. I love birds and spend hours looking at the images I have made of them, even the thousands of captures that are not technically sound. I find a happy place inside just recalling the moments that I pushed that shutter button and those memories are almost as real as being there.

4. I have a desire to see how my photography compares to the work of others, as I find that the ratio of frustration to inspiration has been changing in favor of the inspiration and this translates to personal growth which goes beyond just the pictures. To me, learning to make good images requires one to learn to see the world in a different way - with more clarity, understanding, and connection to the subjects we choose. In a way, I believe that photography satisfies in some measure a desire we have to bring the outside world into our inner beings.

Nancy, it is nice to see you posting here! I enjoyed meeting you in San Diego and talking about bird photography. :)

Roger Clark
11-25-2010, 01:00 PM
<tt>Why do I photograph?

</tt><tt>This is related to a question I asked almost a year ago:

</tt><tt>Why Bird Photography?
</tt><tt>http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?48899-Why-Bird-Photography

Why I photograph has changed over the years. It started as an
interest at an early age (probably around 10), as a general interest
in photography and in my teenage years was largely focused
on astrophotography. In the late 1980s and early 1990s, I did
mostly landscape photography.

While I was always interested in wildlife, a 4x5 sheet film camera was
not a great way to do wildlife (but when it worked, the images were great).
In the 1990s I started getting better lenses for my 35 mm system and did
more wildlife. I then bought a 500 mm f/4 L IS telephoto for the primary
purpose of astrophotography. Once I got it, I realized this is a great
wildlife lens too. One trip to Bosque had me hooked on birds. I was always in
awe of a beautiful bird, but seeing them in the numbers at Bosque where
you could see their interactions were amazing. I still do landscapes
(now with digital mosaics to reach and surpass 4x5 quality),
astrophotography, general wildlife and birds.
Now I do trips all over the world, e.g. Australia to Alaska to Africa
(need to add another A-place: Antarctica) just for photography.

While photography was always a passion, it has become a critical outlet
and diversion from stresses at work. I am a senior scientist at the USGS.
I led the environmental assessment of the World Trade Center Disaster:
http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2001/ofr-01-0429/
This year was the oil spill. For decades people tried unsuccessfully
to develop a method to quantify the amount of oil on the ocean's
surface. I had to develop the method in a few weeks to derive
the amount of oil on the ocean: http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2010/1167/
I am a science team member on 3 planetary spacecraft missions,
each a full time job with less than 1/3 time funding. Then add the
growing bureaucracy that "provides" work to do that has grown from
about 3 days of work per week a few years ago to what seems like
4 to 5 days of work per week (I do most of my science at home).
The </tt><tt>bureaucracy</tt><tt> just adds to the 3+ other full time jobs.
And I haven't even gotten into the politics of science and
scientists!

So photography has become a vital to my mental health. It gets me
outside with nature, away from the </tt><tt>bureaucracy and politics.</tt><tt>
Photography gets me out into nature under varied conditions, wildlife
action provides challenges up to and beyond my abilities and equipment,
and there are so many different species, I'll never exhaust seeing
new ones. Photography provides the escape I need.

Roger</tt>

Roman Kurywczak
11-25-2010, 01:39 PM
James........Hehehehe!

I come from the other perspective....I can draw and went to art school in NY after high school. My parents bought property upstate NY when I was an infant and I spent my childhood summers there palying in the woods and just exploring everything about them. I fell in love with nature there. While my art was influenced by this, it wasn't until I was 19 that I got my first camera from my girlfriend.....now wife. I had no idea what any of the settings were....so program it was. While I often hiked and backpacked, it wasn't until my first trip out to Rogers state of Colorado and Rocky Mountain national park that I became hooked on the west. I also went to Arches for the first time as well as the Grand Canyon and at 23.....just fell in love with the scenery. Inevitably when I came home.....the pictures were OK.....but I was disappointed that I couldn't capture the grandeur that I saw. I searched the newspapers and found a camera club to join as I wanted to improve. There I met 2 people who took me under their wing....Ben Venezio and Terry Boyer (who has since passed away) and they encouraged me and taught me the technical side of photography. My obsessive drive to get better kept me exploring the boundaries of myself and the medium. I have never been afraid to fail.....I am afraid of not trying and giving my all. Now at 45, I continue to push myself and with every image strive to push myself so hard.....that when I walk away from an image I know that I have given it my very best. Long winded ...I know!:p Why? When you look at my image.....I simply strive to get a wow! (or a WoooooHooooo!) I want that one image to move you. I am truly fortunate and blessed to visit these wonderful places.....I can only hope my image does it justice!

It now gives me great satisfaction to share my passion with others as so many people have given me over the years. I simply try get others that image....where thier friend and family will say wow! That is how powerful I believe photography can be!

Giulio Zanni
11-25-2010, 01:41 PM
To stop shaking. If I don't pull the trigger at least once a week I start shaking. When it becomes really visible, my wife locks me up in the hide and lets me out only once I filled a 16GB card. :p

Giulio

James Shadle
11-25-2010, 02:29 PM
Roman said:
"Now at 45, I continue to push myself and with every image strive to push myself so hard....."

And you don't look a day over 50.

PS Great thread Jay.

Don Lacy
11-25-2010, 04:00 PM
I photograph because it is who I am I used to be a fisherman but now I am a nature photographer. To do either one well requires a deep connection to nature and an understanding of her rhythms and it is through that connection that I feel whole. I photograph because it is hard and challenging to capture the true beauty of nature and I take great satisfaction on those rare occasions when I get it right. I photograph because I wish to share that connection and beauty with others in the hope they will see the value of preserving what remains of our natural world.

steve oakes
11-25-2010, 04:20 PM
Hmmm. If you asked my wife she'd tell you it's because I'm autistic or suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder. May be she's right. When I was a child I collected wildlife cards from PG Tips tea packets. In fact I collected all sorts of things. Now I guess my photography is just a modern form of collecting. Is that OCD? I think it might be.

www.worldbirds.co.uk (http://www.worldbirds.co.uk)

James Shadle
11-25-2010, 11:13 PM
Hmmm. If you asked my wife she'd tell you it's because I'm autistic or suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder. May be she's right. When I was a child I collected wildlife cards from PG Tips tea packets. In fact I collected all sorts of things. Now I guess my photography is just a modern form of collecting. Is that OCD? I think it might be.

www.worldbirds.co.uk (http://www.worldbirds.co.uk)

Steve,
My wife has dropped the OCD tag on me as well. She may be (probably is) right.

Chris Ober
11-25-2010, 11:14 PM
To spend time outdoors
To learn new things
It's challenging
Loads of cool gadgets and programs
The take-home is better than cheesy souvenirs from gift-shops :)

Sabyasachi Patra
11-26-2010, 04:43 AM
Jay,
I have been pretty busy and coming back to this forum after a long time. Good to know that you are now fine now.

I have been photographing from childhood days. I bought my first manual SLR in 1992. Initially it was black and white portraits and landscapes and then nature photography started occupying 100% of my photographic time.

Over the years, I have gone through ups and downs in my life. However, photography has helped me in retaining my sanity. It is a great stress buster.

I don't expect any returns from my photography. I do use expensive equipment. And with my recent foray into filming, the expenses has gone up 10 times. My day job is demanding in terms of time, which has made me cut down on my forum activities. However, focus on conservation remains the primary reason for my photography. I hope to do my bit in saving our wilderness areas, so that I don't have regrets when my time is up.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Desmond Chan
11-28-2010, 01:59 AM
Why do I photograph? [snip]

Becoming a photographer, an attempt at being a serious amateur nature/landscape photographer, for me started just a couple of years ago. [snip]

While life was/is wonderful I couldn't imagine doing that "forever" without Jackie. What would I do? [snip]

The problem for me was my struggle with the concept: what am I going to do with my images? Why am I shooting all of these images; why am I spending all of this money on equipment?

Living in a caravan there is no wall space to display my images; I wasn't interested in pursuing photography to the extent that my brother has or that a professional needs to in order to create a demand.

[snip] I knew I wasn't prepared to entertain the dedication that James suggested was necessary.

[snip] returned with over 10,000 images which represented about 20% of what I actually shot. Boy do the numbers add up at 7fps when you are doing it most days.

By the time 10,000 became 5,000 I asked myself why am I doing this? What am I going to do with these images when 5,000 are 500?

I couldn't answer the question! I stalled!!

I posed the question: "Michael (Michael Snedic: http://michaelsnedic.com/) I am struggling with why I am here; why am I photographing; what am I going to do with these images?"

Michael suggested that my pursuit of photography had little to do with actually capturing the ultimate BBC image. From the time we spent together in various workshops Michael suggested that he believed that I pursued photography for the journey, for the education, the interaction with others either on the internet or in person through workshops and other avenues, and if I happened to created a "winner" that was simply a bonus."

Since kick-starting with the Trekabout Workshop to Norfolk Island , and returning to processing my images and playing on BPN, Michael might be right. I am still not sure of the "why" answer [snip]

It seems to me you just wanted to develop a hobby to spend your spare time with. Somehow I have a feeling you may have picked the wrong one. I could be wrong of course.

Perhaps trying not to machine-gunning could help a bit, too :)

sam walker
01-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Photography is my main passion and hobby. An accident 15 years ago removed some abilites. I needed to find new things to do. A camera meeds only a left eye and right hand. I have those. I needed to walk Even walking poorly is better than not at all. Chasing warblers in Spring with a camera keeps me going.I don't embrace most technology like video games,smart phones and any video stuff. I only get high on still photo and computer programs that get me there. I sell nothing I've given a lot of images away. It's a lot of fun for me. I don't profess to be the best. I get a full work out doing it. For a $650 rig I get some respectable captures. I don't belong to an established religious group. Spending two hours with a flock of ducks puts me at ease
Sam

WillRogers
01-08-2011, 05:06 PM
For me photography is a creative outlet... I have an creative and active mind, but I am bad at drawing and painting, and so photography is my tool!

as for why I actually take pictures... it is to try to produce a picture that makes me feel good when I look at, and to make others feel good!
other things I get out of it, are:
1. It is a reason to exercise (if only walking)
2. It gets me out of the house and away from worries in the 'real world' of only for an hour or two
3. I hate towns... even villages... I prefer being in the wilds (or, where I live, wheat fields!)
4. Being outside gives me the space to think, and fresh air
5. A bad day in the great outdoors beats a good day in the office! :p

my current problem is finding a job that lets me work in the outdoors, that actually pays money!