PDA

View Full Version : Blue-Eyed Shag Portrait

Jay Gould
11-24-2010, 12:47 AM
This is another from the series at New Island, Falklands Is. It is interesting that while catching up on the various threads I read the thread pertaining to what images do you post. For me, I post not only what I think is good, but what might be significantly improved by the expertise/teachers here on BPN. Certainly gives me a lot more images to post and be thoughtfully critiqued. I have loads to show you all over the next months. I will slowly exhaust the various avian/wildlife/landscapes before moving to the next location. :p

PS: don't you just hate it when you have uploaded your image, do a preview, and then see an artifact that must be removed before the artifact police point it out?! :o

Camera: 7D
Capture date/time: 01 Jan 10; 10am
Light condition: sunny
Lens: 300 f/2.8
Focal length: 600
Extender: 2X
Distance: 11.3m
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no
ISO: 800
Exp Prog: Tv
Speed: 1/640 sec
Aperture: f/5.6
Exp Comp: +1/3
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: AI Servo
Tripod: no
Filter: None
Crop: 40%

Processed in LR3 and CS5 - plus Topaz Suite and Pixel Genius Sharpening.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-24-2010, 12:52 AM
I think this was in an area covered in shags right? Then the biggest challenge would be to isolate just one against a nice BG and try and work with that. I am being probably a little tough on you mate, but what distracts me here is the OOF bird (the whites especially) behind the main subject. The LRC is also not ideal for me, and I am just being honest, but you are more than welcome to shoot me mate. :) I attach a crop I would do myself since there is good IQ IMHO. Man, you are having a ball traveling the world. :cool: BTW, there are some great details on the face and the orange appendage. Whatever that is for. :)

Jay Gould
11-24-2010, 02:10 AM
I think this was in an area covered in shags right? Then the biggest challenge would be to isolate just one against a nice BG and try and work with that. I am being probably a little tough on you mate, but what distracts me here is the OOF bird (the whites especially) behind the main subject. The LRC is also not ideal for me, and I am just being honest, but you are more than welcome to shoot me mate. :) I attach a crop I would do myself since there is good IQ IMHO. Man, you are having a ball traveling the world. :cool: BTW, there are some great details on the face and the orange appendage. Whatever that is for. :)

First and foremost never hesitate at least with my images to be brutal - gently. While it is nice to receive praise, we do not learn from attaboys without some explanation of "why" the praise is being given. I too am guilty of an occasional bare attaboys; sometimes I look the list of new posts and the same person does a quick "love it!". Enough on the soapbox; from strong critiques grows better photographers.

I very much like the crop. I have a thread in the Landscape Forum of New Island; thatnis where this was shot. Not many shays compared to penguins.

Isolating the shag was a challenge given the distance.

TFS your feelings!

Jay Gould
11-24-2010, 03:38 AM
Hey Akos, just got back to my computer and did another crop of my keeper image - thanks!

annmpacheco
11-24-2010, 10:33 AM
Hi Jay, what I appreciate is the color differentiation with the blues and the blacks. And, the brilliant white. none overblown, beautiful blue eye color and I like the crop. thanks, Ann

Charles Glatzer
11-24-2010, 09:19 PM
Jay

Watch the background as it can make or break an image! At the rookery it is often best to look for a dramatic background, thereafter placing a subject against it. The black element so close to the head makes this a no go for me.

The little things will make the biggest difference in your images.

Chas

Layton E Parham
11-25-2010, 10:22 AM
Can the head and neck be lightened just a little?

Andreas Lentfer
11-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Hi Jay,
I took photos of this species on Pebble Island a few years ago and know how difficult it is to isolate one bird. I like the view over the shoulder, but I would have made it a bit brighter. Also, a little lower perspective might have improved the background situation?
Regards
Andreas.