PDA

View Full Version : Shorebird portrait: juvenile Sanderling.

Daniel Cadieux
11-23-2010, 08:15 PM
Whereas I had to crawl close to the plover in my previous post, this young Sanderling required a different strategy: let it come to me. As it foraged along the shoreline back and forth, I just waited for it to turn and walk back towards the sun, I lay down close to the water's edge with the (now getting low) sun behind my back, and waited for it to roam slowly ever closer, and closer...until it zoomed past me atthe last second. Then it was time to get up, walk a large circle around and past it, and repeat the procedure until satisfied:). This "technique" is the way to go with many shorebirds, especially the younger ones that do not know any better about trusting humans.

Canon 40D + 100-400L @400mm, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/500s., f/7.1, ISO 400, -0.3 EC, natural light (you can see how low the sun was above the horizon line in the eye), very slight crop top and left (about 90% FF).

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-23-2010, 08:25 PM
This is wonderful mate. Well done. The comp and light make it IMHO. :)

Danny J Brown
11-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Young birds, as with all animals, are always so sweet and innocent looking. The bokeh has a unique color and makes this portrait special. Nice sharp image and good choice for a composition......a pleasing photograph.

DB

James Salywoda
11-23-2010, 09:53 PM
Excellent portrait Daniel ! The whites look a bit red ? Beautiful BG and detail.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Killer bird and details! I can even see the sun setting! Very good profile and it sounds like your efford payed off!

Sid Garige
11-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Great technique Daniel. Great job getting full frame shot at 400mm

Dave Leroy
11-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Lovely photo.

Good story and thanks for sharing. It reinforces that good photos don't just happen. And the tip on how you did it is also nice.

I also like that you did not try to change the light.

Dave

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-24-2010, 11:47 AM
Daniel, you are one of the absolute best when it comes to field craft. Your ability to get close-ups and small birds with 400mm is simply amazing.

Great great BG in this one. details, comp, exp., light, HA...everything spot on, my friend.

Jim Crosswell
11-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Great detail, sharpness and BG in this skillfully obtained image. Great shot Daniel!

Craig Brelsford
11-25-2010, 02:18 AM
Fine work once again, Daniel. I like your account too, but you didn't have to tell me that the sun was going down. The picture told me. You had a black bill to contend with along with the white plumage. You appear to have captured details in both. Good composition also. Just strong all around.

Dumay de Boulle
11-25-2010, 12:19 PM
Very nice detail...Really like the way it stands out on the blue BG..Nice one Daniel!