PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill Crane Blast

Monte Brown
11-23-2010, 07:27 PM
Taken at Jasper Pulaski Fish and Wildlife Area this past weekend, sandhill cranes were plentiful, unfortunatley so were the clouds.

1D Mark IV
Canon 800 5.6 IS
Manual mode
1/30 @f 5.6
ISO 1600

Comments appreciated.

Monte Brown

Randy Stout
11-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Monte:

Great to see you posting! I really like the combination here of some in the air, others taking off.
Excellent shutter speed choice to keep some sharpness, but lots of motion blur. I can almost hear them.
This image keeps one looking around and around to take it all in.

Cheers

Randy

Charles Scheffold
11-23-2010, 09:24 PM
Definitely captures what I imagine it feels like to witness this. Nice job!

thanks
Charles

Danny J Brown
11-23-2010, 09:25 PM
A wild and crazy shot with an interesting color, almost purplish on my screen.....I like it. Some of the cranes are calling with their beaks open which adds interest. I'm not sure I'm with Randy on the foreground birds. I think I would have just went for the composition of the flight birds. Nice, interesting image. Thanks.

DB

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-23-2010, 11:26 PM
Quite lovely and full of action. Nice to see that green band on the lower part of the frame. I notice the purplish cast even before reading Danny's comment, an easy fix.:o

Pieter de Waal
11-23-2010, 11:39 PM
Hi Monte, a great image of an awesome spectacle. Love the movement and density portrayed here and I also like that you have kept the birds on the ground in the composition, balances it nicely IMHO.

Sid Garige
11-24-2010, 12:00 AM
Awesome comp and fantastic composition. Great job Monte.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-24-2010, 12:34 AM
I like the look of chaos here Monte. well done mate. :)

Greg Basco
11-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Monte, really nice blur, and I love the flow to the image. There is a bit of purple but in general I think the tones give a nice early fall morning feel.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Craig Brelsford
11-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Why were the clouds "unfortunate"? I don't understand how you could lament the cloud cover after creating as successful a shot as the one you've posted here. The classic shot of sun-kissed cranes was unachievable, so you created this powerful image instead. You took lemons and made lemonade.