PDA

View Full Version : Golden Crowned Sparrow

Dave Leroy
11-23-2010, 06:38 PM
I took this one this morning. It was nice to have some sun but cold and windy.
50D, 500mm f4 at f5.6, 1/1250, Av, EC+1, ISO400.

Laying on the ground I got a bit out of level so cropped to level. It still looks out a bit, but I think it is very close to level.

I also cleaned up the bill quite a bit.

Dave

Hal Everett
11-23-2010, 09:39 PM
Great angle, exposure, and detail of the bird. The grayish layer beneath the surface the bird is perched on looks unnatural.

Julie Kenward
11-24-2010, 08:25 AM
I would agree - the bird is beautiful here but I wouldn't mind seeing a little more detail in the FG and/or BG. Did you blur this intentionally or was this the result of using the monster 500mm lens close to the ground?

Dave Leroy
11-24-2010, 10:04 AM
The bird was on a gravel walk way pecking and feeding on small wind blown seeds.
I stayed as low as I could to eliminate as much of the gravel as possible and still get the feet.
Perhaps a bit too low.

No blurring, just really low and close to the bird.

I have another of a Song Sparrow from a slightly higher angle. I try posting that one and see how the two compare.

Tks for the comments.

Dave

John Chardine
11-24-2010, 03:39 PM
I really love the low angle here Dave. This is a beautiful image, very sharp, great pose and head angle. I would crop a little from the top and left. The light looks like its coming from the left. You could dodge the shadow areas of the bird on the right to even out the tones a little. Love this one.

Dave Leroy
11-24-2010, 03:55 PM
Thanks John and good suggestion about the shadow areas. I had not thought of that.

I think a tad higher including a bit more of the feet would have been nice as well but I am quite happy with it.

Dave