PDA

View Full Version : Collared Aracari

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Hello again!

From my photo session last week.
I did some BG clean up, not much but some white spots bothered me a little.

This is a relatively common species on the carribean side of Costa Rica. I like the members of this family (Ramphastidae) a lot because I think they have some nice personality. :o

I would have prefer a more artistic image and not just a bird and a perch but this aracaridesided to perch in the not-so-attractive part of the branch, any ways, this is one that I like for the simple fact that the bird is giving me a nice profile and I was able to get a clean BG. The perch is natural, it belongs to a tree.

Yes I know there is not enough room on left but I wanted to leave it 3:2 ratio.

Canon 5D
Canon 300 f/4
AV
ISO 640
SS 1/60
f/6.3
Exp. +0.7
Hand held
No flash
PS
Full frame

Jim Crosswell
11-23-2010, 01:19 PM
Beautiful image Juan! I don't have a problem with the perch. The Aracari is sharp and the eye and beak show really well. You must have been really close.

Gary Hamilton
11-23-2010, 01:20 PM
Beautiful image! Great details, head angle, composition, OOF background--it has it all. I can't wait to visit Costa Rica again--so many amazing birds!

Greg Basco
11-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Hey, Juan Carlos. I understand your self-critique about it not being the most interesting perch in terms of injecting an artistic element into the image, but it's certainly a nice, clean, simple portrait of this guy. Nice job on the exposure and focus, and the composition works just fine for me.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Waqar Amin
11-23-2010, 01:54 PM
Very beautiful bird and very sharp and clean image.
Not sure if i can find this bird even in local zoo.

Pieter de Waal
11-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Hi Juan, nice image of this guy - wow enourmous beak, TFS. Like the eye contact, head angle and pose which highlights the beak . Colours and detail are great.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-23-2010, 05:56 PM
Wonderful image my friend. I like the pose and BG and the feet are huge. Cannot wait to see more of your great stuff from CR. :)

Daniel Cadieux
11-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Wow look at that! Nothing wrong with bird on a perch images, especially when they are well done:cool: Striking eye, bill and plumage. You may want to lighten the belly just a tad, and eliminate the vertical clone mark underneath the perch near the LLC.

Danny J Brown
11-23-2010, 09:36 PM
Fabulous image of a striking bird. The eye on this one is over the top....wow. Background is beautiful, making for an overall excellent composition. I'm wondering why you prefer to stay with 2 x 3. I find 4 x 5 to be one of my favorite and most commonly used vertical aspect ratios. Funny how we are all different. That's what keeps it interesting.

DB

James Salywoda
11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Gorgeous!!! Beautiful bird and shot.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-23-2010, 11:14 PM
Wow look at that! Nothing wrong with bird on a perch images, especially when they are well done:cool: Striking eye, bill and plumage. You may want to lighten the belly just a tad, and eliminate the vertical clone mark underneath the perch near the LLC.
Thanks Daniel for your comment. I must admit that you have super sharp eyes! man I could barely see the cloning mark after you mentioned, it means that I have to be more careful, thanks again for your input.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-23-2010, 11:17 PM
Fabulous image of a striking bird. The eye on this one is over the top....wow. Background is beautiful, making for an overall excellent composition. I'm wondering why you prefer to stay with 2 x 3. I find 4 x 5 to be one of my favorite and most commonly used vertical aspect ratios. Funny how we are all different. That's what keeps it interesting.

DB
Hi Danny!
Yes, I don't know why I prefer the 3:2/2:3 ratio over other ratios, may be is because I don't like the square format. But I'm glad that you liked my image. Lots to improve but having fun in the meantime. :)

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Juan, this is awesome. Great black details and pop here. Loved the shallow DOF and bird&head angles.

Personally, I dont take aspect ratio too seriously. My reason is that that ratio is only in the sensor/35mm film that we have got used to over the years. Medium format has multiple different ratios. In actual products( books, frames, printed photo inserts in magazines), all sorts of ratios are seen. In fact, if you browse photo books section in any bookshop, it would be hard to find two books that have the same height:width ratio.

Craig Brelsford
11-25-2010, 02:25 AM
Working in low light, you managed to get that outlandish beak and black head in sharp focus. Excellent job.

john jackson
11-25-2010, 07:45 AM
Very, very nice. For me, the tightness on the left emphasises that huge bill.