PDA

View Full Version : From a banana tree

Dave Mills
11-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Shot this at Longwood Gardens this past summer. One never runs out of interesting things to shoot there. I'm wondering if the green is a bit bright? opinions?
Nikon D300,200mm macro, F22,1/6,twin flash,iso 400,0 comp,tripod mtd

Ken Childs
11-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Hey Dave, when I saw the thumbnail for this I had no idea what I was looking at....it's definitely a bizarre subject. The comp looks good and the water drops are a nice bonus.

Yes, I'd say that the green is too bright and saturated. It's glowing so you'll need to tone it down. The whole thing looks a bit soft to me but I think all it needs in another round of sharpening.

I desaturated and darkened the greens, added a little contrast and sharpened it with Smart Sharpen. I have no idea what the real color was so I may be way off base. :)

Anita Bower
11-23-2010, 03:07 PM
When I saw the thumbnail I thought it was some child's toy. :p But, no, it is a banana tree! I like the composition, with the varied shapes, textures, lines. I like Ken's version which brought out more details and toned down the green, enhancing the overall image. Different, colorful and nice!

Dave Mills
11-24-2010, 12:55 AM
Hi Ken, I was questioning the green and I like what you did. The color looks better to me and the sharpening helped the image. It's strangeness is what attracted me to it...

Steve Maxson
11-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Hi Dave. This is a very interesting looking subject and I like what Ken did in his repost to the colors and sharpness. Good DOF, and exposure. I would wish that the tip of the flower (?) didn't appear to be just touching the leaf underneath - a little separation there would make a big difference in the comp (IMO). :)

Charles Wesley
11-24-2010, 05:57 PM
Dave,

I have a red banana tree in my yard. It has several small bananas growing now. Will not make it through the winter. It looks more like Ken's photo than yours. Love your composition. Will make a photo tomorrow. Hard to get a good angle since it's so tall.

Thanks for sharing...

Charlie Wesley
St. Augustine Beach, FL
http://naturesphotographs.com

Andrew McLachlan
11-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Hi Dave, nice capture. I like Ken's re-post as it tones down the greens a little. It definitely has a "strangeness" quality to it.

Julie Kenward
11-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Very unusual image, Dave! I also thought the glow of the green was a bit too bright but I wouldn't mind seeing something with just a little more pop to it than Ken's final version just because I like the intense green against that purple. I'd say maybe just a tiny bit more "green" & "brightness" or vividness in the final green of Ken's version would do it for me.

Jay Sheinfield
11-26-2010, 03:48 PM
Late to the party...............I agree with Jules' comments. It could stand a boost in color on the
greens. The drops of water on the leaf add interest. Cool image.

Roman Kurywczak
11-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey Dave,
Yep.....toned down greens worked for me too!