PDA

View Full Version : A more typical Himalayan black bulbul

Craig Brelsford
11-23-2010, 08:49 AM
Yesterday*, I posted a Himalayan black bulbul with, atypically, a white head spotted black. Here's another member of the subspecies leucocephalus, this one with the normal clean white head. These most handsome bulbuls look like little bald eagles. As before, shot earlier this month at the Botanical Gardens in Hangzhou, Zhejiang, China (30 degrees N 120 degrees E).

Device: Nikon D300
Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
Focal length: 600mm
VR: OFF
Aperture: F/4
Shutter Speed: 1/125s
Exposure Mode: Manual
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 500

Notes: Shot in mirror-up mode. Used shutter-release cable.

*Thread: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?75617-Autumn-ecstasy&highlight=

Jim Crosswell
11-23-2010, 08:59 AM
The feet are more orange on this one compared to your Autumn image. I like the open beak and pose. Well done Craig!

Craig Brelsford
11-23-2010, 09:05 AM
Thanks, Jim! Wow, looks as if you and I were commenting on each other's images at the same time. Check out your latest thread on the chickadee.

Randy Stout
11-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Craig:

Nice clean look at this guy, despite the pretty busy environment. The bird is sharp and well exposed. Good job on sharpness with this long of focal length and shutter speed. I would consider trying to tone down some of the brightest areas on the background.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
11-23-2010, 12:04 PM
These most handsome bulbuls look like little bald eagles

I thought the very same thing when looking at the thumb!:)

I imagine this guy stays put for a while since you had time to set mirror lock-up and shutter release cable? Too bad you didn't get a full all-green BG, but still a good natural environment photo. If you have it I may a bit more at right to give more space between tree trunk and edge. Thanks for sharing another wonderful species!!

Craig Brelsford
11-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks, Daniel. The bulbul was only 11 meters away, but high above me, and apparently feeling invulnerable up there, because he stayed at that perch chattering away.

Stu Bowie
11-23-2010, 12:58 PM
Good clear shot in the open Craig, and well done on the exposure and detail. I feel you have done well with the brighter areas through the leaves. Its pretty difficult to get it right, when you are exposing for the bird.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-23-2010, 01:24 PM
Beautiful bird and very nice environment!

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-23-2010, 08:12 PM
Love this mate. Nice setting and the chattering sets it a notch over a static shot. Great looking bird too! :) TFS...

James Salywoda
11-23-2010, 09:54 PM
Beautiful bird and shot.