PDA

View Full Version : Black-capped Chickadee

Jim Crosswell
11-23-2010, 08:38 AM
Another one from the backyard set-up. This was taken last month. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 40D
500L F/4
1.4 TC
ISO 400
F/9
1/125s
Tripod

Craig Brelsford
11-23-2010, 09:02 AM
I love the Parids so much and so I very much appreciate sharp, simple shots like this one. You managed to keep the details in your blacks and your whites. Looks as though your lighting was just about perfect for a black-and-white bird. You had him at f/9, ensuring good DOF, while maintaining an SS of 1/125, which was enough to freeze him. The straight-on angle adds to the viewer's pleasure and reflects your good preparation in your backyard paradise. The background, however, is perhaps a bit too somber.

Randy Stout
11-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Jim:
Excellent critique from Craig. Sharp, well exposed, great perch, nice catchlight.
The background feels very fall like, but yes, a bit somber. Did you do any work to clean it up?

Cheers

Randy

Jim Crosswell
11-23-2010, 10:06 AM
Jim:
Excellent critique from Craig. Sharp, well exposed, great perch, nice catchlight.
The background feels very fall like, but yes, a bit somber. Did you do any work to clean it up?

Cheers

Randy

Thanks Randy and Craig for the comments. The BG is natural OOF tree trunk, only removed a sliver of a second perch that was entering the frame in front of the Chickadee. I only ran NR on the BG.

Greg Basco
11-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Jim, nice clean shot, and sharpness and exposure look right on. I think the background matches well with the fall feel and overcast light.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Mital Patel
11-23-2010, 12:04 PM
jim this is super wonderful setting here

Daniel Cadieux
11-23-2010, 12:08 PM
I love these dried mullein perches and always make sure to grab a couple for my backyard setups too. Good profile pose, and nice overcast light to help with these little black-and-white fellas. I like the BG and find it very complimentary to the subject and perch.

Stu Bowie
11-23-2010, 01:01 PM
Jim, you pretty much nailed the pose in this. I like the exposure in the blacks, and your BG's always come off very well.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-23-2010, 01:27 PM
Beautiful bird and pose, BG and light. This is one of my target bird when I come to Canada.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Now THIS perch I LIKE! Looks fabulous mate, a perfect side-on view in soft light. Very pleasing overall Jim. Well done! :)