PDA

View Full Version : Boobook portrait

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Here is another of my night time exploits, a Southern Boobook, which is Australia's smallest owl species. I found this fellow roosting in a ginormous (huge) hollow low down late afternoon and followed him for a few minutes once darkness fell. Their calls are somewhat similar to the Cuckoo of the European continent. This is a full frame image. In hindsight, I should have stopped down a touch more, but this was nearly three years ago, so I learned a lot since then. Hope you like my little mate from Down Under. :)

30D, 300/4L + 1.4x, ISO800, f/7.1, 1/125th, 430EX @ -2/3, hand held, full frame,

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-22-2010, 05:56 PM
And herewith the original SOC -straight out of camera. I cloned the stick, copied pupils to a new layer, desaturated then burned them and removed second light from torch. Did a new layer an applied the multiply thingy as Randy suggested on my Eastern Barn Owl thread from yesterday.

Paul Randall
11-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Excellent portrait Akos, love the detail in the eyes. DOF looks fine to me and its composed beautifully (full frame too, well done):D

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Nice work all around Akos. TFS the original. Loved the details and exposure. Big time Congrats mate.

Jim Crosswell
11-22-2010, 09:15 PM
Beautiful owl image Akos! I like seeing the original and description of your post processing techniques.

James Salywoda
11-22-2010, 09:43 PM
Fantastic!!! Very nicely done gorgeous image my friend....Great PS work as well.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Ditto James, you did a great job on those eyes! I have to learn to do just that!

Love owls, and I find it so interesting to learn that this is the smallest in Australia...! I'm fine with sharpness as far as the eyes are sharp, as in this case. Great to see that this is the full frame. :2eyes2:

Todd Frost
11-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Great job with both original capture and PS work. Nice details and what a stare.
TFS
Todd

Pieter de Waal
11-23-2010, 12:12 AM
Hey Akos what a beautifull image of this little owl, have never seen one of these TFS. Good skills all round capture and PP and thanks for the lesson.

Kiran Poonacha
11-23-2010, 01:47 AM
great work on the eye bhai.. loved that look...

Craig Brelsford
11-23-2010, 06:35 AM
Excellent work, Akos, and thanks for the description of your modus operandi.

Greg Basco
11-23-2010, 10:35 AM
Akos, nice portrait, and it looks like you did as well as possible with the flash being on-camera (nice PP on the eyes!). I just have one thought but I see you covered that in the self-critique. That is, since the flash was providing all of the light, I would have stopped down quite a bit more and probably lowered the ISO too. At this kind of shooting distance, a 430 should have enough power to give you more DOF at a lower ISO.

But like you said, live and learn! Still, a nice result with this guy, and I'm sure it was a great experience too.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Stu Bowie
11-23-2010, 01:12 PM
Hey Bro, best I come over to Sydney, so you can show me where I can capture some owl shots. I aint got any mate.:o IMHO, your best owl image todate. Great pp work to acieve the result you have. Well done.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-24-2010, 01:01 AM
Thanks for looking and the comments.

Greg, this opportunity came very quickly when the owl left the roost to go on the hunt. It landed about 50m away on this low branch and all I wanted to do was try and photograph it quickly. I had not time to adjust anything (sadly) and only had six shots before it moved along deeper into the forest. :) Thanks mate.

Stu, anytime you're in my town, let me know bro! Happy to show you 'round. But there are never any guarantees OK? ;)

Greg Basco
11-24-2010, 10:03 AM
Understood, Akos. Great job then taking advantage of the fleeting opportunity!

Cheers,
Greg