PDA

View Full Version : Ichneumonid Wasp

Stephen Stephen
03-15-2008, 09:44 AM
This image was created last June. Dan Cadieux, Wayne Wood and I were looking for birds when we came across two Ichneumonid wasps looking for to lay their eggs in other insect larvae in a log. The Wasp was at least 4 inches long counting the ovipositor (only a portion visible here)

I'm posting this more for the interest value of sharing an image of this unusual species possibly a Megarhyssa species.

Rebel XT, Sigma 70-200mm F2.8, 20mm Extension Tube, F14, ISO 400, 1/60 sec, handheld with Fill flash. Adjusted image with all OOF green in background removed.Full Frame image

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Insect/IMG_6923b.jpg

Chris Ober
03-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Cool looking bug and nice detail. Since you cloned out some leaf already, I would have cloned out the rest of the green in the upper left and muted the white in the background a bit.

Robert O'Toole
03-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Stephen,

Very cool image and very interesting Wasp. You did an excellent job keeping all the important bits in the frame and even giving the Wasp a little room even,

Good work,

Robert

Steve Maxson
03-16-2008, 11:48 AM
Nice image of an interesting insect, Stephen. Looks like you got the ID right - in my reference book it looks like Megarhyssa atrata. Now, if you could just find one in the midst of drilling into a log. :)

Stephen Stephen
03-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Thank you Chris, Robert and Steve. I was going to post a reworked original image but Steve mentioned about drilling. Here's an image capturing that action. It's not the best image and I just did a quick work up tp clone out a grass blade that had been between me and the Wasp but at least you can see that position the insect puts itself in.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s219/Squidcan/Insect/Ichneumon22.jpg

Daniel Cadieux
03-16-2008, 09:25 PM
These guys were such a thrill to photograph with you and Wayne last summer. Hope we run into one again this upcomming summer. Good job with these guys. I agree the green in ULC could go though. See you soon!

Mike Moats
03-17-2008, 04:07 PM
Hey Stephen, very well done, nice details and agree on the green in the ULC.

Stephen Stephen
03-17-2008, 05:39 PM
Thanks Dan and Mike. I've replaced the original image as everyone has suggested. I think that it looks much better now. Thanks again.