PDA

View Full Version : Norfolk Island, Australia, 100 Acres - 1

Jay Gould
11-22-2010, 07:03 AM
During a recent landscape workshop I was playing with the Singh Ray Vari ND for sunrises and sunsets. In addition to using a SR Grad ND I was mounting the holder over a SR Vari ND and using it a minimum setting to cut the glare from a rising or setting sun close to the water. I will post some of these here, already posted one in Landscape that Roman moved here.

Personally I love it; I must have shot 100 images until I got the timing right to get this curl where I wanted it.

BTW, that was the color of the water - it was not enhanced/saturated to obtain the aqua. It was relatively shallow with a very bright sun.

The SR Vari ND is such fun that when I was walking along a trail above the ocean I decided to put it on my 70-200 and see what happens. Here is one I particularly like; what do you think? I have whole bunch I will slowly post of slow water pouring over the rocks and outcrops.

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 12 Nov 10; 2:42pm
Light condition: sunny
Lens: 70-200 f/4
Focal length: 200mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no;
ISO: 200
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/13 sec
Aperture: f/10
Exp Comp: 0
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: single shot
Tripod: no
Filter: SR Vari ND at Maximum = 7+stops
Crop: 50%
Image Changes: none

Processed in LR3 and CS5, Nik Viveza and Pixel Genius Sharpening.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Dave Leroy
11-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Yes I can see why you like the tiiming on the curl. It looks pretty neat.

Good idea to have it on a third point also.

I wonder what it would look like on the left third, sort of giving more room for the breaking wave to move into. I am not sure what is to the right of rock and if my suggestion would work or not.

Water is a cool colour.

Julie Kenward
11-22-2010, 07:33 PM
Jay, I love it! I'm glad you mentioned the color of the water because I would have been all over that. It's funny when the real thing looks better than Photoshop, isn't it?

I love the curl as well. Even though the curl is right on a ROT's position I still find myself wanting a tad bit off the right side. Just looking at it the curl feels centered for some reason and moving it a little more to the right might trick my mind into thinking it's in the ROT"s when it isn't...but it's your call.

Jay Gould
11-22-2010, 07:45 PM
Hi Jules, for you we can easily do a shave in Lightroom! Like it better?

Color: during the shoot we were commenting on the depth of the turquoise color - it was a beautiful experience.

Sorry Dave, can't move to the left as lots of rocks on the right.

Dave Leroy
11-22-2010, 09:04 PM
Repost is much better. Wave has a lot more impact now. Much better than moving to left side by far.

Colour of the water pops better now as well.

Dave

Julie Kenward
11-23-2010, 07:58 AM
Yep, I like it too!

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-24-2010, 06:34 PM
NIce one Jay. Yes, good old Aussie colored water mate. Love it, as true as it gets. :)