Shutter Speed: 1/100s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: +1.7EV
Metering: Matrix
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 200

Taken this morning on a gray day.

WIlliam Maroldo
11-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Really nice image. I really like high-key and live for those "gray" days. I'm not sure about the crop, and a vertical crop seems more appropriate. Good choice on EC, and for some reason you seemed to have gotten away with ISO 200, and such a slow shutter-speed. Where you using a tripod? Under such lighting, and hand holding, I rarely venture under ISO 1000. So what is the trick?;):confused:;)
regards~Bill

Dave Leroy
11-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Good looking bird Roy. A very nice pose.

I might add a bit of saturation and perhaps lighten up the eye and area around.

Not a bird I have seen often. Good for you.

Hal Everett
11-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Well done, given our (expletive deleted) weather. If you don't shoot on gray days here, you won't shoot much. I agree with the vertical crop suggestion.

Julie Kenward
11-22-2010, 07:29 PM
Yes, this one has way too much negative space - and the bird's impact gets a bit lost because of it. I recropped just to give you a suggestion of an alternate and also cloned out the one partial limb at the bottom of the frame - it really doesn't need to be there!

You also have some missed areas where you painted over or cloned out things from the BG - there's little gray spots here and there that I tried to clean up. It's a good idea to get in the habit of taking the image up to 100% magnification and looking for the little stuff when you're almost done.

Beautiful head angle and pose, Roy. He's very majestic!

Roy Priest
11-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Really nice image. I really like high-key and live for those "gray" days. I'm not sure about the crop, and a vertical crop seems more appropriate. Good choice on EC, and for some reason you seemed to have gotten away with ISO 200, and such a slow shutter-speed. Where you using a tripod? Under such lighting, and hand holding, I rarely venture under ISO 1000. So what is the trick?;):confused:;)
regards~Bill

Bill, Usually these guys don't stick around too long so I went with 200 iso because that's what I used last. I should have raised the ISO but didn't.:o After I screeched to a stop and had my wife wimpering about going into a ditch I turned off the car, rolled down the window and used a bean bag to take the shot.
I always start first at ISO 200 and am loathe to change it.

Roy Priest
11-22-2010, 10:15 PM
Good looking bird Roy. A very nice pose.

I might add a bit of saturation and perhaps lighten up the eye and area around.

Not a bird I have seen often. Good for you.

Dave, actually I did lighten the eye, you should have seen the original shot.:) I see lots of them but not many sitting.

Roy Priest
11-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Well done, given our (expletive deleted) weather. If you don't shoot on gray days here, you won't shoot much. I agree with the vertical crop suggestion.

Hal, isn't that the truth. Haven't been out much, I had knee surgery, but am going to get out more and more. Still don't think I can carry my tripod and 500 f4 too far yet.

Roy Priest
11-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Yes, this one has way too much negative space - and the bird's impact gets a bit lost because of it. I recropped just to give you a suggestion of an alternate and also cloned out the one partial limb at the bottom of the frame - it really doesn't need to be there!

You also have some missed areas where you painted over or cloned out things from the BG - there's little gray spots here and there that I tried to clean up. It's a good idea to get in the habit of taking the image up to 100% magnification and looking for the little stuff when you're almost done.

Beautiful head angle and pose, Roy. He's very majestic!

Julie, how dare you mess with my image.;):o:D Looking good and I too thought about a vertical crop. I took out the same limb on one version I did as well as more on the right side which you noticed and cleaned up. Good tip on the 100% magnification.
Thanks

WIlliam Maroldo
11-22-2010, 10:26 PM
Hi Roy. So the trick was a bean bag!! regards~Bill

Roy Priest
11-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Hi Roy. So the trick was a bean bag!! regards~Bill

Yep, lowly bean bag, actually it's a sunflower seed bag.;) I use it quite a bit now as I'm using the car more.