PDA

View Full Version : Traveling Nursery

Danny J Brown
11-21-2010, 07:19 PM
A mama plains crayfish carries her young to higher ground after an all night rain. This species is one of Missouri's burrowing crayfish. The front claw is a bit out of the focus plane due to my trade off between depth of field and shutter speed. Thanks.

DB

Canon 40D; Canon 500/4; 1/125; f/4; ISO 400; Gitzo GT3530LS/Wimberley II splayed flat on the ground.

Dave Leroy
11-22-2010, 05:02 PM
An interesting looking creature.

I like the angle. Front claw does not bother me and sharp where it needs to be.

I might take just a tiny slice of oof off the bottom.

I like the use of the big lens.

Roman Kurywczak
11-23-2010, 11:15 AM
Hey Danny,
This is too cool!!! I'm OK with the OOF front claw......at that SS you were pushing it anyway.....so sharp where it needs to be! I'm fine with the comp too....although I could go for a tweak on the brightness of the BG and perhaps some selective lightening of the eye and children of the crayfish. Overall though.....these are minor tweaks to a very nice and unusual image!

Ken Childs
11-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Hey Danny, this is a great find! We have burrowing crayfish here but I've never seen one out and about like this. As others have said, the OOF claw isn't a problem because the important parts are all nice and sharp. I would also consider lightening mama's face just a bit. Well done!:)

Steve Maxson
11-24-2010, 03:22 PM
Hi Danny. This is a very cool behavioral image - all the youngsters make this one special! Excellent sharpness within your DOF and I don't mind the soft claw. Nice low shooting angle and a good background. The comp works well, as presented, though I could also see taking some off the bottom and left to remove some of the whitish area in the LLC. Well done. :cheers:

Katherine Enns
11-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Bugs! Very interesting photo, I cant imagine dragging that crew to the grocery store. Id crop the OOF bottom off other than that, perfect.

kat

Danny J Brown
11-25-2010, 10:48 AM
Thanks everybody. You all are very kind and helpful. Happy Thanksgiving!

DB