PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Shy ones

David Hunter
01-03-2008, 08:56 PM
I (and others hopefully) would like to know how you go about approaching and photographing skittish species like Kingfishers, and so I’ve heard Red Shouldered Hawks or others that seem to have a personal boundary the length of a football field.>:)

Do you use a blind and a previously observed perch, what is the best approach?

Fabs Forns
01-03-2008, 09:09 PM
Dave,

This does not apply to Florida, where bids are so used to humans, they don't mind us at all.
I'll see what folks from a less populated state have to say!

David Hunter
01-03-2008, 09:13 PM
Fabs,

I noticed that when I saw the video on your website of the workshop and the group of photographers 15ft from the egrets! When do the birds in Florida migrate to California?:D

Fabs Forns
01-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Fabs,

I noticed that when I saw the video on your website of the workshop and the group of photographers 15ft from the egrets! When do the birds in Florida migrate to California?:D

We treat them too good ;)

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-04-2008, 05:13 AM
Dave,

This does not apply to Florida, where bids are so used to humans, they don't mind us at all.
I'll see what folks from a less populated state have to say!

Yes, and you kill me every time when I'm looking at such a shot in work. :D
Horrible that we have only skittish birds:eek:

Szimi

Jay Tan
01-04-2008, 05:29 AM
This is an interesting topic to me. Here in Singapore, birds are mostly very unapproachable too. It'll be nice to learn about techniques for getting close, baiting etc without having averse effects on the subjects of course. Have always wondered how you guys get such closeup images of all these birds. :)

Gyorgy Szimuly
01-04-2008, 05:48 AM
Using hide is a worth technic.
Szimi

Tom Callahan
01-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Setting up a hide/blind is very helpful esp if you are able to set it up and leave it up. Also get in the hide before the birds come out. A little bait can be very helpful. shoot from inside the hide and try not to stick your lens out of the openning. where dark cloths to help you blend into the darkness in the hide. With capturing Goldfinches in my yard I can set it up and in a matter of 10-15 minutes they are back to normal activity.:)

Tom Callahan
01-09-2008, 07:32 PM
Setting up a hide/blind is very helpful esp if you are able to set it up and leave it up. Also get in the hide before the birds come out. A little bait can be very helpful. shoot from inside the hide and try not to stick your lens out of the openning. where dark cloths to help you blend into the darkness in the hide. With capturing Goldfinches in my yard I can set it up and in a matter of 10-15 minutes they are back to normal activity.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-09-2008, 08:12 PM
I use a KwikCamo throw-over blind that works quite well. I have gotten my first decent kingfisher and wood duck images that way.

Judd Patterson
01-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Back in Kansas, I had a hard time getting close to any birds during good weather. But after a big snow or ice storm, I could really approach birds at feeders and in other locations...they were hungry and no longer thought much of the big lens guy crawling nearby. :)