PDA

View Full Version : Small Falls (6x17 experiment)

Morkel Erasmus
11-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey everyone...

I have been looking at utilising the 6x17 panoramic landscape format lately. Here is one such experiment. Would love your feedback - conversion done as the colours weren't really appealling to me.

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 10mm
f13 @ 2s @ ISO-100

Ron Bernstein
11-21-2010, 09:29 PM
I really like panos, and like that approach to this subject. I would have liked to see this as an HDR to make for an interesting sky and some detail in the darker areas.

Dave Mills
11-22-2010, 10:28 AM
Hi Morkel,The pano format works well in this type of image. If this were mine I would crop out some of the blank sky since I don't feel the small tree is that significant and worth saving. On the whole the image looks a bit soft where the waterfall becomes an area of interest but it's impact is lessened due to some of the brighter areas on the rocks...

Andrew McLachlan
11-22-2010, 07:00 PM
Hi Morkel, good idea to shoot this as a panoramic. I like the arrangement of elements in this one. Agree that it does look a little soft on the left side of the image. I am wondering if the blacks are too black and the brightest rock in the center is a touch too bright.

Robert Amoruso
11-22-2010, 10:39 PM
I agree with the comments about. The blank sky draws the eye and is distracting. The tree in the center also pulls the eye away from the much more interesting falls. A crop right at the lowest part of the skyline would work IMO.

Roman Kurywczak
11-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Hey Morkel,
I have to agree with the comments above on the blacks and conversion.....so you may want to revisit that. If you do scroll and eliminate the sky like Robert suggested.....it seems to have more impact....for me anyway. I do like the format so I have to try and experiment myself!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-23-2010, 09:50 PM
**** Sky always screwing up something, very nice Morkel

Morkel Erasmus
11-23-2010, 11:39 PM
thanks for the honest comments guys. I was going for white whites and black blacks in the conversion, and felt the tree added something which will be lost when cropping the entire sky out?