Exposure 0.002 sec (1/500)
Aperture f/7.1
Focal Length 850 mm
ISO Speed 1600
Exposure Bias +2/3 EV
Flash No Flash

Craig Brelsford
11-21-2010, 08:54 AM
I like your confident use of ISO 1600, plus the offbeat pose. Good background. The crop makes sense.

Stu Bowie
11-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Good over the shoulder pose, and I like how we can the different layers of feathers. Not the ideal perch, but that cant be helped. Good smooth BG though. I feel this has a slight magenta cast to it.

John Guastella
11-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Beautiful bird, well-captured. I like the pose - excellent eye contact.

I get the impression that ISO 1600 is just a snack for the D3 - roughly equivalent to ISO 400 on lesser cameras!

I agree with Stuart about the magenta cast. Also, I feel that the bird and perch can use another round of sharpening. I did some more processing on the image (hope you don't mind, Troy) to correct the color cast. I also sharpened it a bit more using Topaz InFocus, the new sharpening plug-in from Topaz Labs (I don't work for them! Just trying the demo version of the plugin.).

John

Danny J Brown
11-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Hi Troy,

A wonderful capture, post and all and I would be thrilled to have made this one. The ruffled nape, pinkish face, intense eyes and great pose pull it all together to make a compelling shot. The repost has more pop and better color so I'd consider accepting those adjustments and reworking on the original RAW file. Great one.

DB

Troy Lim
11-21-2010, 03:34 PM
Beautiful bird, well-captured. I like the pose - excellent eye contact.

I get the impression that ISO 1600 is just a snack for the D3 - roughly equivalent to ISO 400 on lesser cameras!

I agree with Stuart about the magenta cast. Also, I feel that the bird and perch can use another round of sharpening. I did some more processing on the image (hope you don't mind, Troy) to correct the color cast. I also sharpened it a bit more using Topaz InFocus, the new sharpening plug-in from Topaz Labs (I don't work for them! Just trying the demo version of the plugin.).

John

John, I don't mind at all. I am here to learn. Thanks for the mention the cast.
I will try another round of sharpening...

Troy Lim
11-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Hi Troy,

A wonderful capture, post and all and I would be thrilled to have made this one. The ruffled nape, pinkish face, intense eyes and great pose pull it all together to make a compelling shot. The repost has more pop and better color so I'd consider accepting those adjustments and reworking on the original RAW file. Great one.

DB

Dan,
Thank you. I will work on the image again...thanks for the comment.

Troy Lim
11-21-2010, 04:13 PM
John,

Here is my re-edit version. Hoping to match yours. :)

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4128/5195628245_6dc9299cb1_b.jpg

Sid Garige
11-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Re-post is excellent Troy. Great details and color tones.