PDA

View Full Version : New Island, Falkland Islands

Jay Gould
11-21-2010, 06:20 AM
We climbed and climbed and shot all the way and all they way down! Our first landing of the trip!

Camera: 5D2
Capture date/time: 1 Jan 10; 11am
Light condition: grey!
Lens: 24-105 f/4
Focal length: 24mm
Distance:
Extender: none
Tube: none
Flash/Comp: no
ISO: 400
Exp Prog: Av
Speed: 1/160 sec
Aperture: f/14
Exp Comp: +2/3
Metering: Evaluative
WB: Auto
AF Drive: AI Servo
Tripod: yes
Filter: none
Crop: minimal
Images Changes:

Processed in LR 3 and CS5 - plus Topaz Suite and Pixel Genius Sharpening.

All C&Cs gratefully appreciated!

Roman Kurywczak
11-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Hey Jay,
I think the scene works and the grey conditions actually softened the light nicely. You placed the crack in a good position and the image has a nice flow left to right. I am debating the greenery on the left horizon....originally I thought about cropping but the rock pile on the LL is a big part of the comp flow for me.....so not a good idea there. I do think if you have the room at the base to get the one penguin that is cut entirely in.....put the room back....otherwise just digitally remove him. You have a dot on the water....boat or dustbunny as well as a few specs on the horizon......easy clean ups. Check the water horizon too....appears to need a slight CW rotation. Overall this has good flow and you did the best you could with the light. The tweak suggestions are an easy fix to just clean the image up! BTW.....love the line under the signature!:cheers:

Morkel Erasmus
11-21-2010, 04:30 PM
some good comments by Roman - overall I REALLY like this Jay, I love animalscapes and you've certainly nailed a double whammy here (landscape and avian) :)

nice colours and depth too

Jay Gould
11-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Thanks Guys, and Morkel, congrats on becoming a Wildlife Moderator - you have worked hard at your photography, flown in improvement and expertise (shows what can be accomplished when you take the time to learn and fly on BPN), and deserve all you have attained.

My brother commented - (grr - I keep pushing him to play in BPN): For New Island, good composition, but I would burn in the foreground so the eye isn't drawn to it quite so much.

I am going to rework the entire image today and repost. It is interesting; one of the things that occurred is that after I completed the entire image in LR and PS and did the sky work, then the dust bunnies appeared all over the place! I didn't see them until I actually uploaded to post on BPN. Then I went back and redusted!!

Now I will start from scratch.

Thanks.

Jay Gould
11-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Repost with a different approach - the saturation/contrast might be too much (?)/does look stronger/I am liking it the more I look at it - doesn't look like that in either PS or LR - must happen in the process to .jpg!?

I guess I am just not a pastel kinda guy!!

Steve Gould
11-21-2010, 11:03 PM
Jay,

This is much improved. My eye goes first to the large flat surface in the middle ground and then discovers all the penguins. The foreground rocks have much more depth and interest now, so when the eye does get to them, there are things to explore and enjoy. However, I think the top of the sky is just a little overdone; it looks just a little too ominous.

Okay, I've posted. Happy? :)

Steve Gould
www.stevegouldphotography.com (http://www.stevegouldphotography.com)

Jay Gould
11-21-2010, 11:24 PM
Jay,

This is much improved. My eye goes first to the large flat surface in the middle ground and then discovers all the penguins. The foreground rocks have much more depth and interest now, so when the eye does get to them, there are things to explore and enjoy. However, I think the top of the sky is just a little overdone; it looks just a little too ominous.

Okay, I've posted. Happy? :)

Steve Gould
www.stevegouldphotography.com (http://www.stevegouldphotography.com)

Yes! :cheers:

Dave Mills
11-22-2010, 10:04 AM
Hi Jay, I like both posts for different reasons, The first post I like the sharpness and the 2nd I like the color.
Roman gave some very good suggestions and glad you included the full bird on the bottom. Compositionally I like how you offset the notch and included just enough sky. Nice overview of the terrain and inhabitants...

Jay Gould
11-22-2010, 08:28 PM
Hi Dave, a brand new sharpening program was released today!

Topaz InFocus.

And, since you like the color and want it a bit more sharpened, I ran a duplicate copy through the "common" default setting just to see what might happen.

What do you think?

Robert Amoruso
11-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Jay,

I feel with all the helpful comments you got the image where it needs to be. I would lighten the dark cloud at top a small amount.

Dave Mills
11-22-2010, 11:12 PM
Hi Jay, agree with Robert...you got it where it needs to be.

Mark Rayner
11-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Wow, that's a lot of penguins Jay!

Great composition, horizon nice and straight and good colours. My only change would be to remove the two black spots above the gorge. They almost certainly birds, but my mind keeps thinking dust bunny. Nice work :D

Jay Gould
11-23-2010, 07:05 PM
At Teachers :) Robert and Steve's request I slightly lightened the top of the sky, and at Teacher Mark's request I removed the flying dust bunnies. I also cleaned up one of the penguin's chest. I think this is the final version; if you saw the RAW - the difference is amazing.

I also ran a very light (10%) InFocus; I am going to have to experiment to determine if, after sharpening with InFocus it would be too much to also run Pixel Genius Output Sharpener.

With PG you are flying blind; with IF you immediately see the results in the preview before you apply it.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-23-2010, 09:52 PM
I love the progression of the image and find in very educating.

Robert Amoruso
11-24-2010, 09:10 AM
Nice work Jay. I like the fact you reposted the images with suggestions implemented. This is a great way for everyone to learn.

Jay Gould
11-24-2010, 09:34 AM
Nice work Jay. I like the fact you reposted the images with suggestions implemented. This is a great way for everyone to learn.

Thanks Robert, I am actually being selfish! :)

I always try to repost the final image with the suggestions so that if I got it wrong - again! - then I can keep going back to the drawing board until I get it right. That is the beauty of BPN; you can keep going back to the well of knowledge. Other sites put limits on RPs; Artie and James let us keep posting (Thanks guys!) until we are happy with our learning curve on the image.

:cheers:

Robert Amoruso
11-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Thanks Robert, I am actually being selfish! :)

. Other sites put limits on RPs; Artie and James let us keep posting (Thanks guys!) until we are happy with our learning curve on the image.

:cheers:

Jay,

You are neglecting a fact that I am one of the co-owners of this site. A joint decision by the owners group.:cool:

Jay Gould
11-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Jay,

You are neglecting a fact that I am one of the co-owners of this site. A joint decision by the owners group.:cool:

I apologize!! Not neglectful; didn't know! Is there a clue I missed that indicates owner; is there a location that lists all of the owners? As you know I was the first LTM having pushed for that ability to say "thank you" to all of the owners. Perhaps on the home page there should be some type of a link/reference to identify all of the owners. I can probably speak for all of the nonowners when I say we do love BPN and thank the owners for creating the opportunities we find here on BPN. To this day I do not understand why anyone who is a participant does not choose to be a member within 3 - 6 months of playing the BPN game. It is the best $20, in the case of LTMs $300, that I ever spent!!

Andrew McLachlan
11-24-2010, 08:35 PM
Jay, I love the final image. Agree that it is nice to see the re-posts as you worked your way through the suggestions. Great work!