Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/4"
F22
ISO:400
Tripod
LR and CS3

Not really on the forest floor. The forest floor was recreated in my house. :)

Shot indoors with indirect window light coming from the right, white foam core on the left. Used a home made light diffuser made from foam sheet packing material to diffuse the window light. Cleaned up some blemishes on the acorn. Lightened some of the dark areas between the leaves.

Andrew McLachlan
11-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi Ken, I like the tones in this one. Good idea to bring the forest indoors. I wonder if the background leaves should be darkened a touch.

Hazel Grant
11-21-2010, 04:35 PM
thanks for the education re light indoors. Easy way to re-create without lots of expensive stuff. Looks natural.

Steve Maxson
11-21-2010, 06:35 PM
Hi Ken. A nice, natural looking autumn scene. I like the brown on brown color tones, the lighting, and the diagonal comp of the acorn. The one small thing that puzzles me is that the tip of the acorn seems a bit soft - yet objects that appear to be both in front of and behind the tip are sharp. :confused: Or, maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me. :) Overall, well done.

Dave Leroy
11-22-2010, 05:09 PM
Good idea to bring it indoors. I like that.

Diagonal layout and as well as a nice simple composition is a very nice touch.

Roman Kurywczak
11-23-2010, 10:56 AM
Hey Ken,
Funny thing.....I thought the same thing as Steve B4 reading his comment? Stuff in front and behind look sharp so??? The tones are wonderful and the comp works great too! Very nicely done all around!

Ken Childs
11-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the comments!

I don't know why the tip of the acorn looks soft but I should be able to sharpen that area and make it look better.

Anita Bower
11-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Beautiful glow and texture on this acorn! Wow! Great idea to bring it indoors--outdoors can be so messy. :p I would like to see the bg darkened to help the acorn stand out. The tip is fine as is. Nice work.

Ken Childs
11-23-2010, 04:26 PM
Tip sharpened and BG darkened.

Anita Bower
11-23-2010, 04:31 PM
I like your repost. It eliminates the bit of shine that was on the leaves in the OP>

Jay Sheinfield
11-24-2010, 06:31 AM
Hey Ken,

Fab comp. Lighting works great. I liked it so much, just wanted to experiment with a different look form the "darker side".
Yours is great as is, just an alternative with a different feel to it.............basically gradient lighting, some color lab work, softening to the rear and clarity (tonal contrast) to the front. texture boost to the acorn. I srewed up the crop though.....:)

OvidiuCavasdan
11-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Nice composition and I like the autumn colour tones Ken! Re post looks even better. Well done.
I also like Jay's repost/rework but I feel I prefer the uncroped acorn.

Adrian David
11-28-2010, 01:12 PM
I like your re-post, better! Beautiful autumn colors.