PDA

View Full Version : Double Bighorn Portrait

Steve Canuel
11-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Not a whole lot of action happening so I went for some close ups and portraits on this day. Got these two as they took a break from pushing on each other to watch another ram following a ewe. White specks are falling snow. 7D, 1-400L@250mm, f6.3, 1/640s, ISO 1600, +1/3 EC, handheld, cropped a little from bottom and sides.

Danny J Brown
11-20-2010, 05:21 PM
Steve -

Every so often the light falls on an animal in a way that makes the image full of texture...almost three dimensional, and you were blessed with that light on this day. Using f/6.3 really made the difference in this shot as the depth is wonderful. All four eyes look great on my screen as does everything else. I love the character of the larger animal as exemplified by his battered horns. Thanks.

DB

Marc Mol
11-20-2010, 06:54 PM
Agree with Danny here, the lighting is first class, bringing out all the fine detail in the face and horns, love the symmetry as well.
TFS

Roger Clark
11-21-2010, 12:40 AM
Steve,

I agree, the light is great, but so are the expressions and the look in their eyes. Superb portrait. I would reduce the intensity of the background bright spots above the horns.

Was this taken at the common viewing area near Georgetown?

Roger

Stu Bowie
11-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Hi Steve, I always enjoy your work, and this is no exception. Excellent detail captured in good light, and I like the double inquisitive HA's. Yes, those eyes look just like marbles. Great image.

Steve Kaluski
11-21-2010, 04:05 AM
Yep, the close-up really works well here Steve, enhancing the fabulous detail and colour contained in the image especially at such a high ISO! The rich colours in the eyes are an added bonus and do have a feel of polished glass. An almost comical look from the two Bighorns.

I think Danny hit the nail on the head describing this image, - it is, ALL about detail & texture for this image.

TFS
Steve

Ken Watkins
11-21-2010, 04:45 AM
Whilst there is undoubtedly fine technical aspects to this what makes it really special is the expressions.:cheers::cheers:

Rachel Hollander
11-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Steve - I agree with the others, great image. The inquisitive look, dof, detail and light all take this shot to the next level.

TFS,
Rachel

Grant Atkinson
11-21-2010, 01:49 PM
Hi Steve, this is an excellent image for me, really liked the composition, sharp detail and texture, and at such a high ISO, well done all around
TFS
Grant

DanWalters
11-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Great color and I really like the position of the rams. Like the intense stare as well.

Sid Garige
11-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Awesome duo. Very well done job Steve.

Harshad Barve
11-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Killer image :cheers::cheers::cheers: ,
TFS

Todd Frost
11-21-2010, 11:44 PM
Its all here, detail, light and pose. Well done.
TFS
Todd

Morkel Erasmus
11-22-2010, 01:15 PM
lovely crisp portrait Steve! gorgeous details, expressions and soft light. do these guys roam wild and free over much of North America?

Roger Clark
11-22-2010, 07:34 PM
lovely crisp portrait Steve! gorgeous details, expressions and soft light. do these guys roam wild and free over much of North America?

Morkel,
Nothing roams wild and free over much of North America, except perhaps people. Perhaps some birds.

The Bighorn sheep are limited to a few mountainous areas in the Rocky mountains, up into Canada and south into the US. In Colorado they are found in the central rockies from Rocky Mountain National Park to perhaps 100 miles south. Maybe more, but I haven't seen them beyond those bounds. But habitat is limited due to people building in the mountains, and they like the steeper rockier areas anyway. Perhaps someopne else knows of more habitats.

Roger

Steve Canuel
11-22-2010, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Roger,
Yes, this was taken near G'town.

Morkel,
To add to what Roger stated, these sheep are spread across pockets of most of the western United States. There are Rocky Mountain Bighorns. They're located throughout the Rocky Mountains from New Mexico up through Canada. There are also desert subspecies located in Arizona, New Mexico, and Utah that are a little leaner than these guys. There's also some populations in the mountains bordering California and Nevada. There's debate about whether or not those ones are another subspecies or not.

John Ippolito
11-23-2010, 01:38 AM
Excellent double portrait, Steve. The expressions as noted are wonderful. Lighting makes for great texture in the coats and horns, and I like the little sprig of dry grass in the ram's mouth.

Steve Canuel
11-27-2010, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the look and comment John.