PDA

View Full Version : Young Banking Mute

Gary Esman
11-20-2010, 04:22 PM
7D, f/7.2, 1/1600, iso 500, 500 mm

NR on background, removed some OOF sleeping canvasbacks in the background.

Shot this morning around 11:00 am. Light was pretty good most of the day because of some high thin clouds. Suppose to wake up Thanksgiving morning with snow!

Thanks for looking and all comments appreciated.

Gary.

Doug Brown
11-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Sharpness looks good, and the crop emphasizes the length of the bird. I would have liked the upper wing to be in better position. I might selectively sharpen the head a little.

John Guastella
11-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Great capture of this unusual flight pose (well, it's unusual for me, anyway...). Agree with Doug about the head needing a bit more sharpening. I don't mind the position of the upper wing -- it shows good top detail -- but the shot would have been more dramatic if that wing had been outstretched like the lower one.

John

Randy Stout
11-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Gary:

Glad you got an image of this fellow, I hadn't seen any mute juvis there this year.

Excellent exposure, nice banking pose, yes, upper wing could be up a bit more in perfect world.

It could just be the natural coloration, but it looks like the head is casting a shadow back along the neck. If this is really a side effect of the light angle, could perhaps dodge the neck area a bit to even it out.

Something interesting always seems to pop up after I leave. Did Mr. Merganser show up later?

Cheers

Randy

wendell westfall
11-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Agree with Randy about the shadow. I love the banking pose as is.

Stu Bowie
11-21-2010, 02:58 AM
Good banking pose Gary, and separated from the water abg nicely.

Gary Esman
11-21-2010, 06:50 AM
Thanks all appreciate it. Never know when I have sharpened enough.

Randy...Yes he did show up and so did the Bald Eagle.

Gary.

James Salywoda
11-21-2010, 10:54 AM
A touch more head sharpening would be good nice pose and capture Gary....