PDA

View Full Version : Little island at Beasley, near Nelson BC

Katherine Enns
11-20-2010, 06:31 AM
Hello all you BPNers, have not been on for ages. I have been wanting to take this photo for a long time, i drive by it coming back from Nelson...this is a very small island in the Kootenay River near the 4 mile dam, the water is always very still. However this is from a place on hwy 3A that is scary with traffic whizzing by, no shoulder to speak of, etc. Yesterday I just could not resist the late afternoon winter sun through the clouds, and the mist.
iso 500, f 4.0, 55 mm, 1/5000, shot with the 24-105 Canon 5D II. A little cropping, and saturation of the blues and yellows in the reflections, is all.

Jay Gould
11-20-2010, 07:01 AM
Definitely very subtle!

You might consider application of a grad filter to give a bit more contrast to the sky.

Roman Kurywczak
11-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey Kat,
Nice to see you back! I see the specs.....so I'm guessing moving car? I can see why you want to shoot this and you did a pretty good job as the layers are all very nice. Jay's recommendation of the split would work.....but since it is a crazy area you may want to try a merge.....with one image underexposed for the sky and then 1 for the FG layer and combining them. As presented, I would go back and see if yo ucan bring out any more detail around the sun.....if that is it....go for a crop eliminating it....as I feel all the layers can stan on their own.
All in all well done and hope you find a way to get there without risking life and limb!

Katherine Enns
11-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Thanks Roman and Jay, right then, I should try to get more contrast out of the sky, I have some shot without the sun. I did timorously pick my way along the road, feeling like I was gonna get blown off the cliff by the transport trucks. So no wasnt shot from the car. There is only a very few seconds of this view from the road.

kat

Valerio Tarone
11-21-2010, 07:26 AM
Hi Enn moderators as Roman has teached me something. My cosiderations are, probably, a bit different. I've seen on my calibrated sreen, the image in various sections and frames. 1- like the mistic clouds, better more contrast, certanly useful a GND filter 2 the L part: I 'd prefer more detail 3 the trees below are a bit distracting, you could crop it away.
If a moderator would read and comment........should like to read.
Good light to everyone!

Katherine Enns
11-21-2010, 02:51 PM
Thanks Valerio. Its always good to have opinions , i hve learned a lot here .

Dave Mills
11-22-2010, 09:56 AM
Hi Katherine, a little late but overall(other than the sky) the image is well handled.There are pp techniques that could be used to bring up the sky(S&H along with some plug ins) which I feel would give the image more impact. The misty view adds alot to the mood along with the nice placement of foreground material.
The island adds alot of interest and the sepia tone is pleasing...

Katherine Enns
11-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Thanks, Dave. I am just learning now how to mask out part of an image, i did do some saturation changes to modify the sky quite a bit already, but not on a mask, so I can try more. Thanks for your kind words though, it makes a big difference to some of us who are a bit timid about presenting our photographs.

Kat

Andrew McLachlan
11-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Hi Katherine, I too am a little late getting around to this one, I like the overall look and feel to this image. It is nicely composed. Agree with the above suggestions mentioned by Jay and Roman.

Katherine Enns
11-22-2010, 07:24 PM
Its never to late, if you are the poster of the photograph. I check every comment thats ever been made on any photo I have posted here, and I keep some of the advice in a wee book on my desk, which I refer to on a regular basis to try and improve. So thanks.

Kat

Robert Amoruso
11-22-2010, 10:47 PM
I feel if you crop below the sun, you will find the image composition strengthened. This accentuates the mountains in the BG better and helps the layering to better define the depth in the image - that is because the bright spot of the sun is eliminated as it overpowers the remainder of the image too much.

Katherine Enns
11-23-2010, 12:20 PM
Wow, thanks you guys. So I tried a few others that I had shot without the sun, and they are ok, not bad even but they seemed to not have something, I dont know. Here is a partial crop, of one of the other exposures, Robert. And in Lightroom I pulled the luminescence and saturation in the photo using the photo data to the orange side as opposed to blue-grey. Then sharpened it a bit in CS4. I am not sure this is much of an improvement, I cant go back and preview what I previously posted here, and forgot to do a compare in LR. :2eyes2: Maybe I have to go to Nelson to take the Bruce for lunch and listen to him list off what he wants for Christmas!

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-23-2010, 09:57 PM
Very nice composition and the island placed perfect, the sky and blown out reflection distract from the image but can be fixed, nice job Kat