PDA

View Full Version : Adrenaline rush

Steve Kaluski
11-20-2010, 06:09 AM
From a calm, tranquil atmosphere to a full on charge within seconds - after salmon by the way!!!

Harshad similar to your extended family, in both speed and agility, size these guys are much bigger. ;)

She missed, and normal service was resumed on the river. I just wanted the power to come through, and am happy with the crop because to me, I wanted the bear to be charging into frame. Have more with the bears in full, but thought this might be worth kicking off with. ;)

Steve
MKIII 500f/4 1/2000sec f/5.6 (FF,HH) lying on stomach is fish remains and 'other elements of nature' and not smelling particularly good.

Gary Hamilton
11-20-2010, 07:28 AM
Absolutely superb capture. Seeing the leg through the splashing water takes it over the top. Sharpness is top notch, even in the water droplets in ULC. Can't wait to see more from this series of my favorite animal. Cheers.

Gary Hamilton
11-20-2010, 07:37 AM
Absolutely superb capture. Seeing the leg through the splashing water takes it over the top. Sharpness is top notch, even in the water droplets in ULC. Can't wait to see more from this series of my favorite animal. Cheers.

Grant Atkinson
11-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Wow Steve, what a shot. loved the low angle, the sharp focus on the bear, dof, colour in the bear and BG. Undecided whether I would like to see more of the bear, as this definitely works for me. The intensity on the bears face is excellent. Worth lying on your stomach and getting a bit smelly for sure. This is a winner for me.
TFS
Grant

Andrew Merwin
11-20-2010, 09:11 AM
Steve, a superlative image. The intensity captured in those eyes is outstanding.

Rachel Hollander
11-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Steve - I love this. The intense look, entry into the frame and large splash all convey the action well. Looking forward to seeing more.

TFS,
Rachel

Ian Cassell
11-20-2010, 12:21 PM
What a wonderful image! I only saw these guys from a distance when I was in Denali last year, but not sure that I would want to be this close to a charging grizzly -- even if he was after a fish and not after me!

John Ippolito
11-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Steve, you have captured the awesome power of the great bear with this tight crop accentuating the intensity of the rush. Light is sweet with excellent BG. Very well done!

lying on stomach is fish remains and 'other elements of nature' and not smelling particularly good.

Yes, there is nothing quite like lying or kneeling in fish remains and worse, then going back to your tent for the night.:D

Danny J Brown
11-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Hi Steve -

It's hard to get a unique grizzly shot these days but you nailed this one. The light falling on the animals back is perfect and the demonic little eyes really make this one......not even counting for the awesome water splash. I don't know if you did it on purpose but I really like the way it is running into the frame. By the way.....glad to see you are still among the living after this one. Reminds me of the Nature's Best Photography winner a few years ago. Nice.

DB

Steve Kaluski
11-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks guys, as I said in one of my first posts on this awesome animal, it was one of the most intense trips in terms being so close to these creatures. This shot was from a few that did not have GULLS in it, but as a few of you know, the power that is unleashed within seconds is explosive, no time to think, and after you reflect on how close things got, what a high:D

Hi John, nice to see you posting again. No tents as we were running along the coastline in a very small, but comfortable, fishing trawler, so ALL outdoor gear was hung outside, but the smell does linger.:D:D:D

Hi Danny, in all honesty it was more luck than judgement, especially with a fixed lens, interesting comparing the shots with someone who shot with Nikon and they got the whole body in, works both ways I think.

cheers
Steve

Steve Canuel
11-20-2010, 04:36 PM
Excellent shot Steve. You couldn't have asked for a better match on the angles of the face and the splashing water droplets. I like the way this image is basically divided into three parts. Water, bear, and green BG. Well done.

Marc Mol
11-20-2010, 06:48 PM
The intense look of concentration and the splashing water (that hasn't covered the face) really enhance this fine action image Steve, :cheers:
my only small nit is the eyes appear a tad too bright, have you P/P these at all?
TFS

Jay Gould
11-20-2010, 07:49 PM
Steve, I keep coming back to this one. When we were fishing on the Alagnak we saw many bears charging the sockeye. This is a great and intense capture. :cheers:

Stu Bowie
11-21-2010, 01:34 AM
Hey Steve, a well thoughtout crop, and I really like the light and colours here. God intense action captured, and the flying water shows just that. Fine image.

Steve Kaluski
11-21-2010, 03:36 AM
Again, many thanks everyone for viewing and taking the time commenting.

Yes Marc, just +10 saturation, to me, they needed a fraction of a lift just to highlight things a bit more. ;)

Steve

Russell Johnson
11-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Great freezing of the action, Steve.

Not too worried about the rest of the body with the head sitting nicely in the image.

Very few adrenaline rushes beat being on your stomach with camera in hand.

Morkel Erasmus
11-21-2010, 11:15 AM
Steve the tight crop worked wonders here - love the action, fall of light and the intense feel to this. An experience I would love to have one day - the salmon run

A_Maddah
11-21-2010, 12:03 PM
Hi Steve
superb timing.Good comp.Great detail and nice action.TFS

Asad

DanWalters
11-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Love the color and light. The eyes are sharp and the splashing water makes for a dramatic image.

Harshad Barve
11-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Clap , Clap , Clap , :cheers:
TFS

Todd Frost
11-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Outstanding image, love the comp. Exposure and clarity looks great. Love the intense determination going after the fish.
TFS
Todd

peter delaney
11-22-2010, 09:59 AM
A big well done Mr Kaluski.. one of your best...

no more to be said.....

Jason Hurst
11-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Incredible Image!:cheers:

I esp love the INTENSITY in the bear's eyes! He really means business!!

Robert Amoruso
11-24-2010, 08:45 AM
Well done Steve for all the reasons covered.