PDA

View Full Version : Cemetary Bay, Norfolk Island

Mark Rayner
11-20-2010, 02:22 AM
Early morning shoots with Jay and others on Norfolk Island were very rewarding. Certainly worth the effort getting out of bed :)

Camera: NIKON D3
Lens: Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8
Focal Length: 15.0mm
Exposure time: 1/2s
Aperture: f/22.0
ISO: 100
Exposure: Manual

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v217/sliderr/2010%20Norfolk%20Island%20Workshop/CemetaryBayDawn.jpg

Dave Mills
11-20-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi Mark, beautiful late light with the 1/2 sec exposure giving a pleasing softness and motion to the water.
The foreground rock is nicely placed and adds alot of interest to that area. I might have given it a bit more room on the bottom which would spaced the rock farther from the edge and shown more of the swirling water. Overall the image is nicely handled...

Roman Kurywczak
11-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Hey Mark,
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you all have a wonderful spot and certainly worth the early wake up! I agree with Dave on the rock in the FG.....it is fantastic with the swirl of water around it but I do wish you pointed the camera slightly down to get the entire edge in on the bottom and the water swirl. As presented I would consider cropping down on the sky....eliminating the trees sticking up on the L silhouette.....or if comfortable with such things a digital clean up of the ridgeline. I have debated the small brightest cloud also......I would probably evict that one too......but not that big of a deal. Keep exloring the comps with the rocks as your seperation and action are excellent. You may consider borrowing Jays Vari ND too and seeing what the longer exposure will do to the flowing water around such rocks! Just some food for thought next time out in the field.

Jay Gould
11-21-2010, 03:12 AM
Mate, with a welcome like that from two excellent professionals what more could you ask for?!

I agree with Roman regarding the regarding the tree. I would keep the lower bushes and eliminate the strong trunk and the extended branches about the trunk. I think you would agree regarding the tightness of the foreground rock.

I don't know the rules for participants; I am not sure if you get to make reposts. That ability to make the reposts is how most of learn on BPN; we keep redoing it until one of the Moderators goes "WoooooHooooo" :cheers:

Welcome aboard and keep 'em coming!! ;)

Jay Gould
11-21-2010, 04:06 AM
Mark, since I know you well I can say she is a lot prettier than you!

Perhaps she (?) can be your avatar!

:cheers:

Mark Rayner
11-21-2010, 04:15 AM
Mark, since I know you well I can say she is a lot prettier than you!

Thank heavens for that :D

She is absolutely gorgeous.

Roman Kurywczak
11-21-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey Mark,
I do like it better with the cloud gone. You can now see how the bit of space on the bottom would add another level to the overall image.....not bad, close.....just not woooohoooooo material.:D Keep in mind when doing water & water blurs that the pattern of the flow is a very element to a scene like this. Even the lines it formed on the sand add to the scene so clipping off a part of it.....is usually a big no, no......just like wing tips!:p
I'm sure with some effort you can rebuild it.....but pointing the camera 1 inch downward may have gotten you that woooohoooo!:cool:

Jay Gould
11-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Hey Mark,
I do like it better with the cloud gone. You can now see how the bit of space on the bottom would add another level to the overall image.....not bad, close.....just not woooohoooooo material.:D Keep in mind when doing water & water blurs that the pattern of the flow is a very element to a scene like this. Even the lines it formed on the sand add to the scene so clipping off a part of it.....is usually a big no, no......just like wing tips!:p
I'm sure with some effort you can rebuild it.....but pointing the camera 1 inch downward may have gotten you that woooohoooo!:cool:

Where is the RP?

Robert Amoruso
11-22-2010, 10:50 PM
All good comments above. For me the strongest parts of the image are the three FG rocks and the water rushing in and out. THe large dark slope left is too dominate IMO. Moving around the beach to reframe the rocks could have eliminated the slope as would a vertical composition.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Awesome, very nice