PDA

View Full Version : Queen Butterfly

Ian Cassell
11-19-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm pretty sure I haven't posted this one.

Canon 7D
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Canon 430EX + Diffuser

1/250sec f/9 ISO 400

S/H, sharpening in CS5

Roman Kurywczak
11-20-2010, 04:06 PM
Hey Ian,
You got this one isolated nicely against the sky and the monarch is placed nicely on the bloom. Colors look a bit bright on stem of bloom and a touch of the wings loks almost washed out. Go into selective color and add black slowly in the neutral and black channel.....and see if that gives this the added pop. I think the small tweak to contrast will make this shine and the overall comp is a winner IMO!

Ken Childs
11-20-2010, 06:01 PM
Hey Ian, this is a beautiful butterfly in the perfect pose! Roman's assessment pretty much covered most of what I was going to say. The body looks a bit soft to me so maybe try selectively sharpening that area. Overall a nice shot and a few tweaks will take this one up a few notches! Well done!

Ian Cassell
11-21-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks, folks. I'll try all of the suggestions. BTW, Roman, I believe this is a Queen and not a Monarch.

Andrew McLachlan
11-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Nicely isolated Ian. I agree with Roman and Ken's suggestions.

Steve Maxson
11-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Hi Ian. A nice pose and comp by a nice specimen. I think Ken and Roman have pretty well covered things though I might add that on my monitor the sky is just a little purplish rather than blue. A couple small tweaks and you will have a winner. :)