PDA

View Full Version : Five Petal Trillium

Andrew McLachlan
11-19-2010, 11:52 AM
A couple of seasons ago I came across this Trillium in the woods near the family cottage near Parry Sound, Ontario. Thought it was pretty amazing, never seen this before. Hope to shoot some more of this one again assuming it always blooms with five petals. Shot in late evening light with slight breeze.

Nikon D200
105 micro lens
ISO 200
f8 @ 1/20 sec.

Look forward to comments.

Steve Maxson
11-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Wow Andrew - this is a weirdo!! (For those who aren't botanists, a trillium should have 3 petals and 6 stamens - sometimes this can be doubled to 6 and 12, respectively. So 5 petals and 10 stamens is really a genetic oddball!) A good find and you did a very nice job of photographing it. I like the soft light, good details in the whites, and good sharpness. I would suggest cropping a little from the top so the tip of the leaf doesn't look clipped. Well done.

Ken Childs
11-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Hey Andrew, this is a very cool find! I love finding mutants! :)

As mentioned by Steve, you did a great job of capturing this. I'm not in love with the brownish areas so I'd crop about a 10% slice from the top and bottom.

Jay Sheinfield
11-19-2010, 09:03 PM
Andrew,

I like this a lot. You might consider darkening the BG for more contrast.

Roman Kurywczak
11-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Hey Andrew,
Cool find indeed!!! I agree with the top crop (eliminate the brown patch in the UR) and while I like the idea of the bottom crop too.....I might go with Jays suggestion of darkening the BG first to see if that is the only other tweak. Overall.....very nicely done!

Anita Bower
11-21-2010, 08:07 AM
Lovely, unusual Trillium. I love that it has no flaws. I would crop top to eliminate all grey, and a bit on both sides. In addition to darkening the BG, you might consider a light blur. Very nice!