PDA

View Full Version : Autumn at Bon Echo

Andrew McLachlan
11-19-2010, 11:40 AM
An early morning shot of autumn color and Bon Echo rock at Mazinaw Lake in Ontario's Bon Echo Provincial Park. The red looks a little too much in this conversion to me, not so in the TIFF.

Ugly white sky just above the rock face. Historical note - Bon Echo rock contains some of the largest concentrations of ancient pictographs in North America.

Nikon D200
18-70mm lens @ 44mm
ISO 100
f11 @ 10 seconds.
mirror lock-up
bubble level in hot shoe
Nikon Polarizer

Jay Gould
11-19-2010, 11:58 PM
That really rocks; how about posting a larger version with a horizontal of 1024?

Love the color bleeding into the water.

Dave Mills
11-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Hi Andrew, agree with you that the red is a bit over but easily corrected. Good LL on the lower rt with the red tree as your center of interest. Agree that the colored reflection aids in showing some interest in the water. The backround rock wall is a nice contrast to the wooded shoreline...

Jeff Dyck
11-20-2010, 08:58 AM
Very nice Andrew. I spent many a weekend out at the Bon Echo ACC cabin rock climbing when I was a university student - a great surprise to see it represented here. Ditto on saturation comments (red in the leaves / magenta in the rocks).

Andrew McLachlan
11-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. Very much appreciated. Re-posting it larger, tried toning down the reds a bit and adjusted it slightly in Nik's "Remove Color Cast"

Jay Gould
11-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Mate, thanks for posting the larger image - WOW - it bleeds!!

Now that I see the larger image, when I put the top edge of an open notepad it suggests that it needs a degree of CCW rotation. Squareness is just something that always catches my eye :2eyes2: though not everyone agrees all of the time.

Roman Kurywczak
11-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Hey Andrew,
Everyone captured my thoughts on the OP well.....so looking at the repost I think you did well with the cast removal! I like the way the shore leads you into the scene......do wish for something more in the water on the LL......but this is still very well done as presented and you made some excellent comp choices with the sky not included!

Andrew McLachlan
11-22-2010, 07:13 PM
Thanks Jay and Roman for the additional comments.

Robert Amoruso
11-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Andrew,

I like the report as Roman commented. I do not see any rotation issues with it.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Very nice Andrew love the colors and leading line of the shoreline to the trees