PDA

View Full Version : Surf City Sunset

Kirk Benson
03-15-2008, 01:18 AM
New member, first landscape post. This is Huntington Beach Pier with Catalina Island in the BG. Folks surfing and fishing, not bad for Feb 2nd in So. Cal.

Nikon D70, Tamron 28-300 3.5-6.3 @ 65mm, Av f/8, 1/125 sec, ISO 200. Thanks for looking, C&C welcome.

Alfred Forns
03-15-2008, 01:10 PM
HI Kirk !!!! Great first post or otherwise !!!! I like the careful framing and exposure The light reflecting on the foreground looks mighty fine Slight colors in the far structure is a nice touch Love it as presented !!! Big Congrats !!!

Chris Ober
03-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Welcome and wonderful first post. I think this one needs more lines directing the eye to the subject instead of everything being horizontal. Better landscape people here probably have better input though :)

Robert Amoruso
03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Kirk,

You have the light and nice lines in the image. My recommendation for this image is crop a lot of the FG waves out and go for a pano on the pier and sun/clouds. For next time, use a slow shutter speed (30 sec or more) for a nice silky look to the water, in this light that wold be killer.

Kirk Benson
03-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Albert, Chris, Robert,

Thanks guys for your kind words and helpful comments, I really appreciate your suggestions. Cropping is always a difficult decision for me, I'm trying to see differently. Robert, I love doing long exposures like you mentioned, I just didn't have my tripod with me. Thanks again guys, keep teaching me.

Roman Kurywczak
03-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Hey Kirk,
I'm with Robert on this one..I took a little off the bottom and make it a pano to accentuate the pier. Slight saturation boost also. For a landscape photographer the tripod is like an American Express card...........don't leave home without it!
I still think this one is a winner,
Roman

Kirk Benson
03-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Hey Kirk,
I'm with Robert on this one..I took a little off the bottom and make it a pano to accentuate the pier. Slight saturation boost also. For a landscape photographer the tripod is like an American Express card...........don't leave home without it!
I still think this one is a winner,
Roman

Thanks Roman, your re-crop and sat boost look really good.