PDA

View Full Version : Pink Mums

Anita Bower
11-19-2010, 05:56 AM
I took this photo at Longwood Gardens, in their Conservatory, a few days ago. The Conservatory was full of many types of Chrysanthemums.

Nikon D300, Sigma 105mm macro, f 3.3, 1/200, ISO 800, handheld (unusual for me), manual settings.
PP: in Elements 7 and PS7: curves, contrast, saturation, shadows & highlights. Topaz Denoise.

I know it is bright--that is what I was going for.

Now that I look at it posted here, I wonder if I might crop some off the right.

Comments and critiques welcome!

Jim Bridges
11-19-2010, 08:08 AM
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:RelyOnVML/> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I really like the position of the flower and the BG is fabulous!

Andrew McLachlan
11-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Hi Anita, I like it as is. Very well done as handheld. Love the background of out of focus mums.

Ken Childs
11-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Anita, this is wonderful! The tilt of the flower looks and that BG is fantastic! The only change I'd make would be to clone over that dark petal tip that near the center-right because it keeps drawing my eye away from the rest of the lovely flower and BG. Well done! :)

Steve Maxson
11-19-2010, 02:15 PM
Hi Anita. A cool flower and I love the colorful background. I see what Ken means about the dark petal tip - it does contrast with all the light colors and draws my eye - it would be an easy fix. I could also see cropping just a little from the right. :) Well done.

Thomas Herou
11-19-2010, 05:25 PM
Hello Anita!
What a wonderful short DOF!
And the colors are fantastic!

Anita Bower
11-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Thank you!

Anita Bower
11-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Anita, this is wonderful! The tilt of the flower looks and that BG is fantastic! The only change I'd make would be to clone over that dark petal tip that near the center-right because it keeps drawing my eye away from the rest of the lovely flower and BG. Well done! :)
Thanks, Ken. I'm not sure which dark petal you mean.:confused:

Roman Kurywczak
11-20-2010, 03:03 PM
Hey Anita,
I'm betting the petal with the dark tip around 1 oclock position. It would be interesting for comparison.....but this is fantastic! I'm looking forward to the workshop with Denise there in a few weeks! You have given me inspiration to go and try some shallow DOF images!!!

Anita Bower
11-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Hey Anita,
I'm betting the petal with the dark tip around 1 oclock position. It would be interesting for comparison.....but this is fantastic! I'm looking forward to the workshop with Denise there in a few weeks! You have given me inspiration to go and try some shallow DOF images!!!

Thanks, Roman. I have toned down that particular petal in the original I hope your workshop goes well. Of course, there will be different flowers then as they redo the conservatory for Xmas. I will be going again sometime after Thanksgiving.

Jay Sheinfield
11-24-2010, 07:33 AM
Anita,

Late to the party on this one. You're taking me to school on how to do a floral profile. It's a beauty. Marv DOF.

Anita Bower
11-24-2010, 07:39 AM
Anita,

Late to the party on this one. You're taking me to school on how to do a floral profile. It's a beauty. Marv DOF.

Thank you, Jay. Late is OK>