PDA

View Full Version : Black-throated tit

Craig Brelsford
11-19-2010, 01:20 AM
If you see a black-throated tit, then you're definitely in Asia and probably in China. This cute Aegithalos ranges across the southern half of China (including Taiwan) and west to India via the Himalayas. The species is common; it even breeds in inner-city parks in Shanghai. Though easy to find, the black-throated requires concentration to photograph, because of its preference for shady, brushy areas and its quick and constant movement. I got this shot last week at the Botanical Gardens in Hangzhou, 180 km southwest of Shanghai at 30 degrees N 120 degrees E. There were no branches or twigs to cut out, and the background is as my camera recorded it.

Device: Nikon D300
Lens: VR 600mm F/4G
Focal length: 600mm
VR: ON
Aperture: F/4
Shutter Speed: 1/125s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Center-Weighted
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 400

subramanya_ck
11-19-2010, 04:05 AM
A very cute looking bird. I had a glimpse of this in Uttaranchal (India) last Summer. Exposure is perfect

Marc Mol
11-19-2010, 05:29 AM
Nice soft lighting, with good detail, HA and BG, well done Craig.
TFS

Sidharth Kodikal
11-19-2010, 09:12 AM
Craig, I always enjoy reading the information you provide along with your fine images.
Like the diagonal perch, soft light and the bg. The bird is very beautiful with a nice head turn and a lot of details. The shoulder seems slightly sharper than the head/eye/beak. Selectively sharpening the head could be tried. Thanks for sharing.

Steve Deam
11-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Beautiful bird and beautiful shot!

Since you have room on the right, I would experiment with cropping the right side just enough to eliminate the fork.

Kaustubh Deshpande
11-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Craig, thx for sharing this beauty. what a bird. You nailed it too. well done on comp., exposure, head turn and low SS stability.

Andrew Merwin
11-19-2010, 10:49 AM
That's a wonderful image. They white eye ring sure helps his eye stand out from the black face. I like the diagonal perch also.

Craig Brelsford
11-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks for everyone's comments so far!

Jim Crosswell
11-19-2010, 07:31 PM
I like the lighting. pose and detail you captured of the interesting looking bird. Well done Craig!