PDA

View Full Version : House of Fire

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Was in Cedar Mesa last week and hiked into this cool indian ruins. Had the sun peaking around so shot a sun burst
5d markII
tripod
16-35 canon
iso 100
1/4sec@f/22
0 ev

Tim Munsey
11-19-2010, 03:37 AM
Looks a tough shot to pull off, nearly there just need to sort out boundary between rock and sky.

Tim

Jay Gould
11-19-2010, 04:03 AM
I think that is quite cool.

I also think you should crop from the bottom to the top of the hot slab on the RHS.

The dull foreground does nothing to add to the image.

Using Viveza you could also open the left side lower corner after the crop.

Sun burst rocks~!!

Roman Kurywczak
11-19-2010, 09:13 AM
Hey Curly,
Nice to see a post from you ! I like the suggestions above on opening up the shadows a touch more.....and while Jay's idea of eliminating the RH bright area is a good one.....try making it the same tonality or close to the same opacity as the rest of the rocks in the area......this will help keep our eye focused on the rocks and ruins and not draw our eye away from it. Clone tool or paintbrush at lowered opacity should do the trick but mauy require a few passes. Great placement of the sunburst and it adds to the overall impact of the image! Minor tweaks will certainly take this up a notch! Nice to have you around again! My have to take a roadtrip to do some frozen lighthouses with you!

Dave Mills
11-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Hi Curly, coming in late but agree with most of the above suggestions. For me the biggest factor is the bright area on the lower rt. I would like to see that greatly toned down or filled in. The starburst is a neat addition along with really good detail in the red rock. Interesting view...

Bill Randall
11-19-2010, 10:12 AM
I think cropping might unbalance the comp. Try toning down the the bright spot and opening up the lh shadows some as suggested by Roman. This was a tough shot and you pulled it off. The sunburst is just right. A little more pp and print it.

Andrew McLachlan
11-19-2010, 10:42 AM
Very nicely done Curly. I too wish there was a little more sky separating the rock and trees, but I don't mind the small amount of separation you have captured here either.

Thomas Herou
11-19-2010, 05:21 PM
I like it a lot.
It looks like gold foil and the effect is very dramatic.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-19-2010, 06:00 PM
I missed the rh bright spot and I kept the rocks dull and found that to be a mistake so here is one with the rocks with some contrast and bright spot worked on

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-19-2010, 07:48 PM
This is the cropped version and thanks everybody for your help it is really appreciated

Jay Gould
11-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Hi, I vote for pane #9. Now that you have opened up the rocks I find #10 to cramped. I like the foreground space; it gives the image depth.

keep 'em coming!

Ron Bernstein
11-22-2010, 07:25 AM
It was very interesting watching this excellent capture get better through this dialogue. I prefer number 9, for the reason given by Jay, and congratulate you, Curly!

Robert Amoruso
11-22-2010, 11:18 PM
Way to go - I like the final repost.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Thanks everybody, I will keep you posted Roman on the light houses as we have not had a skiff of snow yet, a late winter which is ok by me as when they start we have it till late April