PDA

View Full Version : dahlia

Gary Hamilton
11-18-2010, 07:28 PM
this is a scan from a slide. Canon Elan 7E body; Canon 300mm f/4 with close up attachment, exposure unknown, either Velvia 50 or Provia 100--don't make me dig through those boxes to confirm--lol.

It's always hard to know where to crop a dahlia with all of those curled petals to deal with. Would be interested in your thoughts on crop/composition

Ken Childs
11-19-2010, 11:49 AM
Hi Gary, I love the lighting one this...the flower is glowing! I agree that it's always hard to decide where to crop something like this but I do know you don't want to clip the tips of petals if at all possible. If you have the canvas, I'd try and include all of the petals at the top center and on the right. If you don't have that extra canvas, I'd crop tighter on the right to just outside of the tip of the large petal in the right-center.

Steve Maxson
11-19-2010, 01:14 PM
Hi Gary. I would agree completely with Ken on this one. :) Those clipped petal tips are really drawing my eye. A slightly different crop could make a world of difference.

Jay Sheinfield
11-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Agree with the suggestions above...........tweak this and you'll have a huge winner.

Jay Gould
11-19-2010, 09:06 PM
I would agree and add that using the content aware tool with a tiny tip you could clean out the lighter dots in the center of the flower.

Gary Hamilton
11-19-2010, 10:30 PM
Thanks for all of the suggestions. Here is the repost.

Jay Gould
11-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Wow! Wow! Wow!

Roman Kurywczak
11-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Hey Gary,
Dang.....after reading Ken's suggestions....I think he's been in my head!:2eyes2: I'm guessing from the repost that the room wasn't there......so the way you went about it was perfect and improves it IMO! Love the glow and the colors are fantastic!

Gary Hamilton
11-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Hey Gary,
Dang.....after reading Ken's suggestions....I think he's been in my head!:2eyes2: I'm guessing from the repost that the room wasn't there......so the way you went about it was perfect and improves it IMO! Love the glow and the colors are fantastic!

Thanks, Roman. You're right, I didn't have the canvas to change the crop too much other than what Ken suggested. I forgot to mention that the dahlia was backlit, giving it that nice glow.

Anita Bower
11-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Aren't Dahlias wonderful to photograph!? I completely agree with the difficulty in knowing where to crop. The second crop works well here. I would clone the little tips coming in along the left border, and would also lighten the center just a tad.
The colors here are sumptuous and the backlighting makes the Dahlia glow. Nicely done.

Juan Carlos Vindas
11-22-2010, 11:26 PM
I'll stay with the original post.

A master piece, I can even see a 3D effect on it! love to come to this part of the site just to see wonderful images like the one you present today.

Cheers.

Jay Gould
11-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Gary, I have returned for another look - the repost sings!!

Gary Hamilton
11-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Thank you for all of your kind comments and suggestions for this image. Sometimes it takes a lot of well-trained eyes to maximize a photo's potential and I really appreciate your help.

Gary Hamilton
11-23-2010, 06:22 AM
Thank you for all of your kind comments and suggestions for this image. Sometimes it takes a lot of well-trained eyes to maximize a photo's potential and I really appreciate your help.