PDA

View Full Version : Monitor question

Scott Frye
11-18-2010, 06:54 PM
The monitor I have gives me different views of the same picture depending on the tilt or aangle in which I view the picture.

For instance the color, birghtness, and contrast changes depending on how the screen is tilted or whether I am standing, sitting straight, or slouched a bit.

The bottom line is that I am unsure as to what the picture will look like when I post.

I'm looking to upgrade but not sure what I ask for to eliminate these anamolies.

From researching this forum and others the Dell 2209 or 2210 seem like good choices -- but I'm unsure as whether they will distort the picture depending on where I view it from.

What technology do I look for in monitor that will give me an undistorted view of the picture?

William Malacarne
11-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Scott

One thing to look for to get rid of your problem is find a monitor that is at very close to 180 degree angel of view.

You will find much useful info at this site.

http://www.clarkvision.com/photoinfo/choosing_an_LCD_monitor/

Bill

Roger Clark
11-19-2010, 09:41 AM
The monitor I have gives me different views of the same picture depending on the tilt or aangle in which I view the picture.

For instance the color, birghtness, and contrast changes depending on how the screen is tilted or whether I am standing, sitting straight, or slouched a bit.

The bottom line is that I am unsure as to what the picture will look like when I post.

Scott,
This is common for LCD panels of type called TN.

I'm looking to upgrade but not sure what I ask for to eliminate these anamolies.

From researching this forum and others the Dell 2209 or 2210 seem like good choices -- but I'm unsure as whether they will distort the picture depending on where I view it from.

What technology do I look for in monitor that will give me an undistorted view of the picture?

The best LCD technology for photo editing or viewing is an IPS type display. My article on this subject is at:
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/choosing_an_LCD_monitor/

Also check out IPS monitors that are LED backlit. These are not common, but perhaps there are some new ones on the market. If you find one let us know.

Roger

Norm Dulak
11-19-2010, 11:07 AM

Scott:

This is an interesting problem that I've observed in the Mac system as well. My wife and I both have iMac computers. Her computer, which is a bit older, exhibits the problem you've described. As long as she sits at her computer looking squarely at it, she gets excellent results. But if I stand by her computer and look down at it, I don't see images the same way she does.

My newer iMac doesn't have this problem; whether seated or standing, images look the same to an observer. So the newer iMac computers don't have the problem.

While not wanting to disparage Dell computers or their monitors (or those of other PC manufacturers), you really should consider what Apple has to offer if you want to achieve excellent results. You may pay more moving to an Apple system, but you will get much more. And with an iMac, the computer is in the excellent monitor.

Norm

Don Lacy
11-19-2010, 01:11 PM
Scott, What is your price range right now NEC seems to be the monitor of choice if you do not want to go theEzio route. I would not buy a Dell for serious photo work my second choice after NEC would be an Apple cinema display.

Ian Cassell
11-19-2010, 11:44 PM
Scott,
This is common for LCD panels of type called TN.

The best LCD technology for photo editing or viewing is an IPS type display. My article on this subject is at:
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/choosing_an_LCD_monitor/

Also check out IPS monitors that are LED backlit. These are not common, but perhaps there are some new ones on the market. If you find one let us know.

Roger

I have been very happy with my Dell 2209WA. I didn't have an arm and a leg to spend and it was the least expensive IPS panel monitor I could find.