PDA

View Full Version : Jumping Spider on a Leaf

Jeff Dyck
11-18-2010, 02:04 PM
This little jumping spider hopped on my shirt while I was out in the backyard last spring and in doing so became my first subject for testing out my new reversing ring. For scale, this little fellow is about 1/4" in length (not quite big enough to eat Harry Potter yet...). The shot you see is just a hair shy of full frame (the image was cropped a hair to better center the subject) and basically straight out of the camera.

The technical stuff --> Shot hand-held with a reversed 28mm Pentax-M lens (from my dusty, 25-year old Pentax 35mm film camera kit) mounted to a 25mm extension tube shot at f11 (I'd have liked to have gone with an even smaller aperture, but using stop down metering (even in live-view) in low light you have to be able to see your subject to focus, and that was near to impossible at f22). Lighting is with a 580EX Canon flash equipped with an inexpensive mini-softbox.

Canon 5DII -- Pentax-M 28mm f2.8 mounted in reverse (with a reversing ring) w/ 25mm extension tube -- f11 @ 1/125s -- ISO400 -- 580EX Flash through a cheap plastic softbox

Roman Kurywczak
11-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Hey Jeff,
Normally Im a huge DOF guy......but you absolutely nailed the focus point so I am loving the falloff as it adds to the overall appeal. This one works for me overall with the great light and comp. Very nicely done!!!:cheers:

Julie Kenward
11-18-2010, 04:57 PM
I agree...you totally nailed the focal point and it makes for a very strong image. One very small suggestion would be to think about cloning out the 2-3 very small drops right below his front legs at the edge of the leaf. I might also tone down the very bottom section of that right leg as well.

Super comp and a very nice portrait of my less-than-favorite subject matter. ;)

Jim Bridges
11-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Excellent DOF and detail on the eyes:cheers:...These are one of my favorite subjects to find!

Geoff Warnock
11-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Outstanding Jeff, it's the reflection that really makes it for me.

Andrew McLachlan
11-19-2010, 10:07 AM
Hi Jeff, perfection. :cheers:

Ken Childs
11-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Hey Jeff, this looks great! It's sharp where it needs to be and the reflection in the eyes couldn't be any better. If this were mine, I'd probably crop a small amount from the right because it seems a bit too centered as is. Very well done! :cheers:

Steve Maxson
11-19-2010, 01:09 PM
Hi Jeff. Jumping spiders are very cool critters (IMO) and you really nailed the focus on those eyes! Also, the lighting is handled very well - it doesn't have that "flashed" look at all. Given that the eyes of these spiders are like tiny mirrors, I like to look to see what kind of flash setup was used. :) In this case, I find the little dark, eyelash-like streaks in the flash-generated catchlights distracting from your otherwise very strong image. A little eye-doctor work in photoshop could easily fix that. You might also consider toning down the light green "lump" just below the spider a little as it tends to draw my eye. Overall, very well done!!

Thomas Herou
11-19-2010, 05:09 PM
Very nice!
Love the multicoated lenses for eyes:)!

Christopher Schlaf
12-01-2010, 07:29 PM
Great shot.Super details

Charissa
12-12-2010, 01:45 PM
Lovely colors, detail and BG. Super macro work.:)