View Full Version : Mountain Lion

Ian Cassell
11-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Another from my visit to the Phoenix Zoo this past weekend

Canon 7D
Sigma 100-300mm f/4
1/640 f/4 ISO 3200 HH

S/H CS5, Sharpening in GF6/CS5, NR in Noiseware Pro

It was a challenge getting any image at all here. It was dark in the caged area and there was a chain-link front to the cage with caked-on dirt on all the links. I was separated from the chain-link by several feet due to a second fence. Somehow, I managed to get the lion far enough behind the links so I could selectively blur them out with my wide aperture but not so far that I needed a would have needed a major crop. Between situations like this and cages with poor lighting, dirty glass, or tight-weave link, sometimes I feel that zoos have it in for photographers.

Austin Thomas
11-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Hi Ian,

You have done well under the circumstances.

I would concentrate the crop more on the head and eye as the rest of the body is not complete and isn't adding much to the image IMHO.

Cheers

Austin

Morkel Erasmus
11-18-2010, 04:29 PM
I would love to see one of these in the wild someday...

I agree with Austin here, and think that some noise reduction on the BG and selective sharpening on the head can improve this image

Ian Cassell
11-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks, Folks. I'm not sure I can get much more NR to work well, but I'll try. There was already quite a bit (this was ISO 3200). I will also try some more selective sharpening.

I saw a wild one many years ago, but no images :( . I'd love to see one again. They are VERY reclusive.

Rachel Hollander
11-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Ian - Sounds like tough shooting conditions. Something looks a little off to me in the color (silvery patches with little detail), not sure if it was due to the high ISO and NR or if you did some S/H adjustment as well. I haven't tried to push my 7D that high.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Canuel
11-18-2010, 10:03 PM
Beautiful cats. Came across their tracks on a few occasions but never sighted one. I'd crop this to a vertical to around just inside the elbow. A little NR on the BG and some color adjustment will make this a nice little portrait. Nice job eliminating the fence.

Harshad Barve
11-20-2010, 04:18 AM
Super cool cat and you have done very well here , excellent advise above
TFS

Stu Bowie
11-21-2010, 01:10 AM
Although one has a choice of different animals at a zoo, I agree, the opportunities arent always there. You have done well here, and agree a tighter crop will work.