PDA

View Full Version : What a look!

Steve Kaluski
11-17-2010, 04:56 AM
Have been busy with a very good friend of mine looking at Tigers again and working on some new stuff and thought I would post this one. You almost felt as if you were intruding with this look/stare. For me, Polar bears have cold, soulless eyes, Grizzlies, well those warm brown chestnut ones, but the Tigers are totally different and something you will never forget and difficult to capture.

Converted to B/W for two reasons, one because you don't often see them in this medium, secondly to gain reaction.

Steve
MKIII 500f/4 1/160sec f/6.3 ISO400 (FF minor crop for posting, HH)

Marc Mol
11-17-2010, 05:02 AM
Love the pose here Steve, this B&W conv works well, lots of fine detail here, had he/she just been drinking?
Wondering what that OOF patch is in the centre of the chest? Would also like to see in colour (as Harshad would say! :p)
TFS

Ken Watkins
11-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Everybody knows I am not a big fan of B& W, and like Marc (and perhaps Harshad) would like to see this in colour.

I would also like to know what the OOF/blurred patches are.

Steve Kaluski
11-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Here you go Marc. I have been looking at various alternative 'tonings' just to see the effect and how the image/mood changes & I think B/W appears to be cleaner, but like the selenium toning too, as it's subtle. I think that might be the way Peter is going?

To be honest I wanted to wait a little because, (no pun intended), I did not want the colour version to colour their judgement, or feedback. If you are refering to the chin area I have no idea, perhaps Harshad might enlighten us. :D but sadly this is not one of extended family. Might post one of those later, at some point. I think this will answer your question, plus the puncture wound is more evident near the shoulder.

cheers
Steve

Steve Kaluski
11-17-2010, 05:34 AM
Sorry Ken, just posted and missed your reply. I hope my last reply illustrates your question better, it's just the BG. Would be better without the light blue running through, but again, sometimes you just do not see it through the camera.

kind regards
Steve

Ken Watkins
11-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Steve ,

Thanks for the colour post, it goes without saying that I prefer this even if it does show the injury clearer.

The oof/blurred patch I was referring is above and to the right of the wound.

Rachel Hollander
11-17-2010, 07:55 AM
Steve - like the comp and details here. I like both the color and the b&w. The b&w is something we don't see often with tiger images and I think the conversion works well with this image. I like the whiskers against the converted bg.

TFS,
Rachel

Robert Amoruso
11-17-2010, 07:58 AM
Hi Steve,

I like the expression and the B&W treatment as well as the color version. I felt that the B&W was too contrasty and the whites at the ears lacking detail that appears to have been recorded.

I downloaded the image and using Shadow/Highlight Correction in PSCS5 produced the repost. Both Shadow and Highlight amount sliders set high and a negative midtone contrast set to lower it.

If you have Nik Silver Efex Pro, it could be used to localize corrections that I have done here globally. I kind of amp'ed it up so the differences were obvious.

S/H Settings

S: 80/25/0
H: 100/32/30
MTC: -25

Harshad Barve
11-17-2010, 08:24 AM
First of all , I liked all three versions of this image. Just waited to read other's comments too.
You gotta love those eyes here Man, Mesmerizing :):):)

One more thing , What ever images I have seen from you , I always feel you are best with these cats , keep visiting :):)

perhaps Harshad might enlighten us. :D but sadly this is not one of extended family.

My dear friend , All tigers in India are members of my family.
This image is created in Ranathambhore National park.

She is T5 female , also called Kachida female , mother of T6 and T7, T7 is now in Bharatpur ( Beware bird watchers :p:p ).

TFS

Andrew Merwin
11-17-2010, 09:04 AM
I like the OP best. Compared to Robert's repost, I think the OP has more pop. The color version, while good, loses impact because of the visibility of the wound which draws my attention away from the tiger's eyes which are the point of the image. They eyes are wonderful & very well captured. I think you achieved what you envisioned.

Kirk Adams
11-17-2010, 10:35 AM
Nice image, I believe the first b/w conversion works well, you got the head turn perfectly. The bright blue line going across the head is definitely distracting in the color version.

I do see remnants of cloning or cleanup(?) on the shoulder right next to the injury. The stripes end somewhat abruptly..hmm. I could be wrong.

Best,
Kirk

Steve Kaluski
11-17-2010, 12:33 PM
I do see remnants of cloning or cleanup(?) on the shoulder right next to the injury. The stripes end somewhat abruptly..hmm. I could be wrong.

You are Kirk, as this is direct from camera. nothing more done than the conversion.

Myer Bornstein
11-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Like the B&W, more effect for me

Steve Kaluski
11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Thanks everyone, and it is interesting the various POV. In fact looking at all three I guess my personal preference is Roberts, as it probably retains more of the feel I wanted.

Robert the conversion was done in NIK as I feel it offers more in the conversion compared to PS, but still have a lot to learn using this programme. Would appreciate the workflow on this Robert, as I know there are a few of us that use this software.

Harshad you have a way of humbling us (me at least), which perhaps means, we appreciate things more and no longer take things for granted with your wisdom & knowledge. As I said in one of my first posts, we ALL need to see Tigers in the wild to appreciate perhaps the most majestic of animals we have on this planet IMHO. :cheers: Appreciate the info, I can now name her, thank you.

Sorry Ken, still not with you. If you care to point it out, I will try to help. ;)

cheers
Steve

Kirk Adams
11-17-2010, 01:46 PM
Thank You! It would be great if you could you please post a screenshot of the RAW file from DPP or ACR (33% or 50%) showing that region around the injury so we can lay this to rest ? I believe Mr Ken are Marc are pointing at the same location/position right of the injury seen on the neck which shows blur/artifacts.

Appreciate all the help.

Sid Garige
11-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Color for me Steve. Unbelievable image.

Ken Watkins
11-18-2010, 03:59 AM
Steve,

I really thought I had been clear about the position of the "patch", it is clearly visible on my monitor to the right and above the wound, the top of it is where the stripes dissapear only to reappear again further down. The texture of the fur here is totally different to elsewhere on the body. I hope you can find it as it is clearly apparent to at least 3 others. I only want to know what it may be?

ken dyball
11-18-2010, 04:19 AM
A easy decision for me Steve, B&W for sure, the eyes are far more intense

Niclely done.

www.africanatureimages.com

Steve Kaluski
11-18-2010, 04:20 AM
I can only assume you are referring to the muscle outline of the shoulder blade. Here is a section from the RAW file with nothing applied to it, I trust this answers your quests and doubts.

As I have stated before, there was NO cloning or retouching applied to in this image.

Harshad Barve
11-18-2010, 05:32 AM
here is side flank image of this tigress , Not taken by me :):) , I hope this will clear all doubts , Have a close look at shoulder stripes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nishith/3565315142/in/photostream/

Ken Watkins
11-18-2010, 05:47 AM
Steve,

Thanks that answers my question, still looks odd to have no stripes but if they are not there then they are not there. Perhaps it had been laying down somewhere damp?

As far as B& W goes I think Roberts repost is more "subtle".

Stu Bowie
11-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Hi Steve, before I saw the colour version, I felt you had done an excellent job on the B&W. I really liked the tone, exposure/light and sharpness.

I do like the colour version too, and of course the eye contact puts this over the top.

Ken Watkins
11-18-2010, 10:54 AM
here is side flank image of this tigress , Not taken by me :):) , I hope this will clear all doubts , Have a close look at shoulder stripes

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nishith/3565315142/in/photostream/

Harshad,

Missed this before making my last post.

Thanks for that, still looks unusual to me but the patch is clearly identical. Any ideas as to what may have caused this?

Nice image as well, great faraway disinterested look.