PDA

View Full Version : The Dawn of New Energy

christopher galeski
11-16-2010, 12:35 PM
dont do many land scapes,but like scenes with atmosphere,like the mist in this scene,with the new energy system wind turbine coming out of it,comments good or bad welcome.cannon 50d,cannon 100m macro is f2.8,hand held,f2.8,1/1250,iso640,slight crop in ps and sharpening.

Dave Mills
11-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Hi Christopher, The image captured a nice mood created by the fog. A few things I tried which I liked. I selected the foreground and in S/H lightened it a small amount. One thing it did make more noticeable is the OOF FG on the lower rt. Shooting a landscape at F2.8 will almost never be sharp throughout with a foreground. If you plan to do alot of landscape work a tripod is very important. That rids your concern about a high F stop and long shutter time.
I also cropped a small bit off the top and some off the left to further offset the turbine.

Robert Amoruso
11-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Hello Christopher,

You positioned yourself well such that the walkway acts as a leading line towards the turbine. Proportionally, the image would balance better with more of a crop from the left. In the repost I used PSCS5 and its cropping tool Rule of Thirds grid and cropped with the vertical thirds at the turbine and the walkway.

I also did a Shadow/Highlight correction and opened up the shadowed FG and darkened the sky highlights which amped up the sky's drama. I finished it off with some additional sharpening.

I am surprised the DOF was so good at your shooting aperture, but given the shutter speed you should have lowered the ISO and stopped down as well. With the 50D, I would try not to go over ISO 400. HH shutter speed of 1/125 or 1/250 should have worked OK here and that would have allowed a smaller aperture and greater DOF.

Roman Kurywczak
11-16-2010, 10:50 PM
Hey Christopher,
I like the concept....and the direction Robert took this one! I may like the darker version of the turbine and sky in the OP....but the FG works much better in Robert's repost. Easy tweaks to bring this up a notch!

christopher galeski
11-17-2010, 04:52 AM
thank you for your comments,to be honest,I have had the lens 2weeks,and was playing with the macro when I took this shot,and I for got to change the settings,and again thanks for comments.

Robert Amoruso
11-17-2010, 07:43 AM
Christopher,

Thanks for the feedback.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
11-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Like the idea, boy at 2.8 surprised your depth of field was that good. Maybe the top part of the image a little darker