PDA

View Full Version : On the Lookout

Katie Rupp
11-16-2010, 11:43 AM
This young bear came up over the dune and immediately scanned the horizon looking for any sign of a potential threat. It's from Lake Clark, Alaska last summer when it was dismal weather all week except for a few hours on our last morning...still a terrific experience. C&C encouraged and always appreciated.

1dm3; f5, 1/2000; ISO 800; 500f4

Steve Kaluski
11-16-2010, 01:03 PM
Hi Katie, these are great animals and at times, can be very misunderstood, but should never be taken for granted. ;)

I like the placement within the frame and the slight incline of the log with the purple flowers peppering the vegetation. You have some great detail which really shows off the bears fur extremely well and highlights those huge claws. Shame about the weather, as it has given that 'bleached out' sky, but don't think you could have done much about that.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
11-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Katie - I'm guessing this is the image you referred to the other day. I like the comp and pose, especially with the claws visible on the log. Too bad about the sky/bg.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
11-16-2010, 04:12 PM
Love the sideways pose with those large claws evident Katie, shame about the weather cond's.
TFS

Hilary Hann
11-16-2010, 05:09 PM
Bear pose and composition is excellent. Good IQ, the detail in the bear is good and love those claws. Only downside is the sky, but an overall good image.

Robert Amoruso
11-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Katie,

Having been there multiple times, I feel that exposing for the shadows and letting the sky go white is the right choice here. As mentioned well composed and the log adds a nice touch to the bears stance and look into the distance. Well done.

Harshad Barve
11-17-2010, 02:32 AM
Love the pose here , Great advise above
TFS