PDA

View Full Version : Another night shot downtown Ft. Myers, FL

John Hawkins
11-16-2010, 07:53 AM
This is of Ft. Myers shot from a parking garage stairwell.Data-ISO 800, 15mm, 2.3ev, f/6.3, 5.0 shutter, auto wb, shutter priority, pattern metering. Using my Sony a700 and Sigma 14 mm 2.8. C&C's welcomed, thanks for looking

Geoff Warnock
11-16-2010, 01:13 PM
A complex image very well executed. It really keeps me looking. I guess many viewers will miss a focal point and find it too busy, but for me the image definitely still has something.

You might still be able to get away with a little bit of distortion correction to straighten the lines near frame edge.

Nice!

Dave Mills
11-16-2010, 02:22 PM
Hi John, I think you did a pretty good job on the exposure considering all the lighting variations. The starbursts also add an element of interest. Frankly, shooting this at F6.3 I'm amazed you have the DOF front to back. For my taste I would crop the image from the left a little before the vertical pane near the blue/green stanchion. I feel this tightens the view and better directs the eye....
Did you use a tripod?

Robert Amoruso
11-16-2010, 02:42 PM
For a single exposure, this worked out pretty well. For my taste, I would prefer to see the bright streetlight illumination better controlled and not so bright.

Have you tried any multiple bracketed exposures? HDR?

The blues in the stairwell and the sky are just right.

John Hawkins
11-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Thanks for your comments guys. I did use a tripod and I did bracket. I am going to try some hdr with it. I have photomatix and haven't used it yet, but have a friend who is willing to guide me.

Roman Kurywczak
11-16-2010, 10:47 PM
Hey John,
Ype....tame the streetlights as Robert mentioned....this will go up a notch! An in the field tip.....don't be shy to use the grad ND (upside down in this case) to tame some of those highlights!