PDA

View Full Version : Cooper's or Sharp-shinned hawk?

Craig Wallace
11-16-2010, 01:52 AM
I first thought it's a juv. cooper's but when I got home and looked at my Sibley's guide the coarse brown streaks say Sharp-shinned. Thanks for any help.

Paul Guris
11-16-2010, 10:12 AM
I'm going to vote Cooper's Hawk on this bird.

I think the prominent forward position of the feathers on the sides of the breast and belly in this photo give the bird a more marked look that it would have if it were soaring over your head. If you look at the markings at the center of the breast and on the lower belly, they actually look pretty thin.

The other things that make me favor Cooper's over Sharp-shinned is the smaller looking eye that's place a bit forward, the buffiness in the upper breast and what can be seen of the nape, what appears to be a buffy eye line (though the head is a bit dark), and the obvious white spotting on the back.

Craig Wallace
11-17-2010, 12:50 AM
Paul, Thanks for your input, It was a cold rain day and the bird was a little wet and feathers a little puffed out.
thanks Craig.

Paul Guris
11-17-2010, 09:09 AM
I remember years ago asking Pete Dunne how he'd ID an immature Swainson's Hawk when perched. One had been reported in NJ and at the time it was quite a rarity. He replied (very tongue in cheek) something to the effect that he'd walk up to it, kick the tree, and watch it fly. Raptors are often easier in flight.

Myer Bornstein
11-17-2010, 10:09 AM
I would agree with a Juvenile Coopers Head coloration etc