PDA

View Full Version : Abitibi River

Andrew McLachlan
11-15-2010, 08:44 PM
A photo from a top the Otter Rapids Dam on Ontario's Abitibi River. Thought I would share this one as it is as far north as one can drive in Ontario - very remote. The only way to travel further north from here is by canoe or by train to Moosonee. This was the main route for the fur traders of long, long ago.

This was shot in late August, of this year, and the autumn colors were peaking here. This one was shot at around 10 am, I would have preferred to arrived at this location a little earlier so on my next trip up here I will.

Please excuse the pun, but I did clone out a little bit of dam debris along the shoreline of the little island in the river.

Look forward to comments.

Nikon D200
18-70mm @ 38mm (effective 57mm)
f16 @ 1/8 sec
ISO 100
polariser
mirror lock-up

Dave Mills
11-16-2010, 02:08 PM
Hi Andrew, nice vantage point where this was taken. Good leading line taking the eye to the island. I too would of preferred a bit earlier light to add some drama to the scene. Since this wasn't done as an HDR it looks a little oversharpened to me.

Robert Amoruso
11-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Andrew,

I agree with Dave on a good vantage point allowing you a well composed image and good leading line. Now that you got the vista worked out, I am hoping for better light and clouds next time you visit.

Andrew McLachlan
11-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Dave and Robert, much thanks for the comments. Very much appreciated. Dave, I did add a little bit a Nik's Tonal Contrast. I think I went a little too heavy and that is giving it a over sharpened look. I will have to back it off a bit. Thanks again guys.