PDA

View Full Version : Inner glow

Bill Randall
11-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Iso 200, f9, 1/160 100mm marcro lens f 2.8

Aidan Briggs
11-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Nice idea and I like the water drops! Good job getting the critical areas in focus. I think a crop from the left and bottom will help tighten up the composition.

Looking forward to more!

Ken Childs
11-16-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey Bill, I like the glow and the the water drops are a nice addition. I think a different crop is a good idea but if it were mine, I'd take some from the right and the bottom. Another option would be to crop in tight and remove most or all of the dark areas. The biggest problem I'm having with this is finding a focal point. There's a lot going on but the few areas that are sharp aren't enough to draw me in. When shooting this it would have been a good idea to try different aperture settings such as f22 to get more in focus or f2.8 to pick one small sharp thing to focus on and leave everything else looking nice and soft. You have lots of options when shooting something like this. Keep shooting and keep 'em coming!

Roman Kurywczak
11-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Hey Bill,
Some great suggestions above! I want to give you a few in the field recommendations.......did you use a reflector? Even aluminum foil or white mat board would bounce light into the shadow side.....giving this an extra bit of depth. Heck.....I've been known to use a stinless pot lid or 2 for the same purpose if you don't have the reflector. The added depth this allows will let you explore more comps like this one and give you more options in regard to DOF too! Crinkle up some aluminum foil and put it on some cardboard stock.....you will be amazed at how much light that it throws off!

Steve Maxson
11-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Hi Bill. I like the "inner glow" thing you've got going on here! The water drops are a plus, but I'm not as fond of the dark areas. I kind of like Ken's idea to crop tight enough to remove most of those dark areas. There are also a number of excellent suggestions above for you to try next time in the field. :) Keep them coming!