PDA

View Full Version : Mouth full -- brown pelican

wendell westfall
11-15-2010, 03:23 PM
D90 70-200VR 1/3200 f7.1 ISO800 -1/3EV handheld

Pelican activity was at a minimum in my favorite spot Sunday morning. But, as you see, this one made a very successful dive. The image was minimally adjusted in Lightroom.

Wendell

Ben_Sadd
11-15-2010, 05:20 PM
A nice show of fishing spoils. Pelican activity is at a constant minimum of 0 for me in the middle of Europe :)

The sharpness on the bird looks good. The neck seems a little hot and lacking in details so wonder if you could have gone to -2/3. Would a lower angle have been possible?

Roman Kurywczak
11-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Hey Wendell,
Love the action and the catch is a huge plus. Perhaps a touch of taming on the whites.....just to eeek out all the details there and another round of USM on the eye and face to give it that last bit of snap. I like tighter crops.....but usually get in trouble for that so will refrain for Randy's sake!

Scott Frye
11-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Peleican is a bit centered so I might try to take some off the left to bring the pelican off center just to see what that might look like. The dark colors looks good and I see just a touch of yellow on the head -- the water colors make a very good frame for this bird.

Ákos Lumnitzer
11-16-2010, 03:36 PM
I think the whites need taming too. THe angle is not ideal, but what I like is the pose and the double catch. That's great! :)

wendell westfall
11-16-2010, 09:34 PM
Thanks all (Ben, Roman, Scott, Akos) . . . critiques noted, and very helpful. Thanks for commenting.